Sizebox input text box covers handles

RobH2

I can't seem to find any configuration settings for the text field of the 'sizebox.' The text on my screen is much larger than it needs to be and it sits right on the center of the sizebox's handle origins. It covers them all the time and I'm constantly zooming way in to expose the red dots. 

Are there settings somewhere so I can scale the text down or choose to move the sizebox text field off center so it doesn't cover the controls?

If you can see any red handle, move your cursor over any of those and it will turn off the active sizebox that is shown. So if you click on say the Length handle and the box covers the width handles, you can mouse over the height handles and it will deselect the box for access to the width handles. You can also click on the active handle to turn it off as well. So in the case above, click back on the length handle and it will turn off the edit box so that you can then get access to the width handle. 

Thank you both for the comments. I'm a relatively new user. I searched for an hour for those settings...lol... Thanks for pointing them out. I appreciate it. 

16 hours ago, Cary OConnor said:

If you can see any red handle, move your cursor over any of those and it will turn off the active sizebox that is shown. So if you click on say the Length handle and the box covers the width handles, you can mouse over the height handles and it will deselect the box for access to the width handles. You can also click on the active handle to turn it off as well. So in the case above, click back on the length handle and it will turn off the edit box so that you can then get access to the width handle. 

The problem is you have to go through a process of de-selection and re-selection to get to where you want to be, rather than being able to select straight away.  Is there not some way of the system knowing or figuring out that when it places the sizebox it will cover up the handles for itself or another axis, and then place it so that it does not.

• Like 1

I agree with Mike, this is an issue that I feel needs to be resolved. It is a common issue raised by virtually all my customers. It also impedes the ability to turn on the new inner symmetrical handles as well. Maybe putting the dimension boxes at the end of an axis so the red handles are always visible?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds the data field invasive and difficult. I may be fairly new to IronCAD but I've been a 3d designer for 30-years so I do know my way around complex software. 

I think that providing some configuration parameters would help. Just being able offset the data field by some amount would help. You could choose to offset it (+) and/or (-) a number of pixels to send it diagonally up between the two axis, or whatever worked for you workflow. As powerful as the feature is, I agree, having to make many multiple clicks to get it to behave is inefficient. Reducing the font size as Cameron suggested is a start and is helpful, but even with the character height smaller, the field's boundary is still larger and invasive. 

In reality, the sizebox text field annoyances are not a deal breaker. But, it's just a feature that you handle so frequently that a little bit of redesign would make things nicer and even faster. And being able to model "fast" is what makes IronCAD so powerful. 

I agree with Tom, Mike and Rob. Yesterday I pulled a slab shape in to add to a part and what a PITA it was to change the thickness. I ended up ditching that and using a block, but still a PITA changing the thickness before anything else because of the dimension box in the road.

Hilarious. I know I'm new here but I do like that you guys are responsive and have a fun sense of humor... I look forward to participating on this forum!

I think I'm seeing how the labels work. I'm a "Block" for instance and you guys are "TriBall." Cute, at least I'm not a vertex...

Edited by RobH2

8 hours ago, RobH2 said:

Hilarious. I know I'm new here but I do like that you guys are responsive and have a fun sense of humor... I look forward to participating on this forum!

I think I'm seeing how the labels work. I'm a "Block" for instance and you guys are "TriBall." Cute, at least I'm not a vertex...

Its a good crowd here and very helpful.

Mike (just a lowly polygon)

just playing with the dimension font size, increasing it up to 200  (!)  makes the text box so big its completely out of the way, see image. As noted though it changes the size of other dimension etc.

(Don't forget you can double click the handles this brings up a floating dimension text box, I find this easier.)

Sizebox Textbox.png

My preference would be to have the text box appear outside of the selected handle, rather than between the handles. When working on a large part where I have zoomed in to make a change using the handles, the text box doesn't appear in view (requiring to zoom out again). Unless I double-click the handle as mentioned by Nick above.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

What's ironic is that I started this thread and it has gotten some traction and may lead to a fix in V2021, but I'm upgrading from Innovate to IronCAD this week to a perpetual version. I won't have access to the fix...how's that for life is cruel...lol...?  I will try out the way "oversize" idea that Malcolm has. 

6 hours ago, RobH2 said:

What's ironic is that I started this thread and it has gotten some traction and may lead to a fix in V2021, but I'm upgrading from Innovate to IronCAD this week to a perpetual version. I won't have access to the fix...how's that for life is cruel...lol...?  I will try out the way "oversize" idea that Malcolm has. 

You won't miss out, when 2021 is released, you can get that.

There does already seem to be some intelligence in the positioning of the sizebox, as it does switch position around as you pan the view (images 1-3), so can this be repositioning not be tweaked a little to keep it off the handles ? 

The next bit goes beyond the original rational for this thread but it happens in a similar way........

What is also annoying is the resolute way the triball selector stays put (close to the anchor ? images 1-3), it does become free of a handle if you pan enough, but having accidentally turned it on, there is no corresponding icon to turn it off.  OK, Esc or pressing F10 will, but for a south paw a "turn off" triball icon within the triball would be helpful (image 4), as the natural inclination (for me anyway) is to let go of the mouse to Esc, probably much the same as it would be for a right hander to go for the F10.     Float the triball icon (on or off) in the same way as the sizebox, but keep it off the handles.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Maybe something like what Astute Graphics does for their Adobe Illustrator plugin might be worth investigation. Here is a video of one of the tools called 'Ink Scribe' that is for drawing splines. There are options available much like what IronCAD's sizebox provides. You have options for manipulating what you are creating as you do it, right next to the cursor. 

What's nice about Ink Scribe is that the input field/option field moves around to keep from covering up what you are doing. It also has a parameter to allow the user to determine how it behaves and how far away it goes to stay out of the way. Some investigation into the merits of this kind of functionality might benefit some reworking of the 'sizebox's' functionality.