Better lighting tips

Hello everyone,

My job requires me to be able to make decent looking renders. Sadly I'm unable to get it right, and I need some help.

My problems:

1. Shadows

There are to many shadows on the floor. I believe this is due to the five lights in the SCENE.

2. Merging surfaces

With merging surfaces I mean that small gaps get covered up. I for example have doors that are 3mm apart from one another, when rendered they look as if they are one.

I have tried angleling the lighting and camere in such a way that they show up a little. But I really want to see the gaps.

3. White is to white

In the attached render you can see the white surfaces. It looks like its lighting up... In other renders you can't even see the edges of the surface, this counts for other colors too.

What I'd like to know

I would like to know what settings other people are using, and how their renders turn out.

Greetings,

Martijn

Schuur Keuken Render-1.bmp

To be completely honest, I have never produced a render in IC that looked acceptable to me despite messing with all sorts of settings, lights, etc. I know people who have and even they are generally not sure how it worked out the one or two times it did. That being said, there are a lot of other products you can use for this. Keyshot is integrated very well into IC if you have the money for it. Blender is free, but very confusing with a steep learning curve initially (tons of online tutorials though). If you figure it out in IC, let me know how you did it.

-Spencer

Hello Martijn,

I think managing the lights is the answer to all your questions. With that said, it's not always that easy and I like using KeyShot better than tuning in IC. But it is possible with a few tricks..

1) Turn off the lights and use Global Illumination instead.
2) Use a single color (white) background or an HDR image.
3) Use better materials/colors on the models which you can find in various catalogs.

Here's a PDF compendium with more details on those tips and tricks regarding the rendering tools in IC.

08 - Image Rendering.pdf

As stated before, it is important to turn off (all) the lights in the scene before rendering.

bild.png.8bfa7acaee8f016c81a531547f40be85.png

Then use the Global Illumination functions instead.

bild.png.49ad2d3b2de8c24364a1c6401a874f19.png

You need to fiddle with the Color (white or light blue or maybe even light grey) and the Power. Don't raise the Power too high, usually only a few "tenths" of the scale.

bild.png.1e48229d38642ebc0e7b8536a2d91660.png

Then Render the image with Render Now (or with [Ctrl] [R])

bild.png.44d6017ac003fb232291cf105d5a0306.png

IronCAD's Advanced Rendering Engine is based on the "YafaRay" render engine -  http://www.yafaray.org/

Since its integrated into IronCAD some of the terminology may be different, but this site may be a good place to learn of all the advanced render features, ie. shaders etc..

I agree with Spencer, if you have some extra funds, it would be well spent on Keyshot Add-on.

Tom

On 8/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, tlehnhaeuser said:

I agree with Spencer, if you have some extra funds, it would be well spent on Keyshot Add-on.

Tom

+100   Once I got the basics of KeyShot, I started using it for project tenders and it paid for itself in the first month! It never fails to impress and is relatively easy to use compared to IC render. Couple that with IC's viewable file link and you have a powerful marketing tool.

Edited by HDEAR