Icons - Scene Browser for Clarity

Cary OConnor

Hi All,

We are looking to clarify the scene browser when shapes fail, lose reference, etc. Currently the scene browser overlays indicators of the shape icon to denote these status conditions. We are looking to change this and wanted some feedback if you think this would help. Attached are two images (current and proposed). As you can see the new method is to the right of the icon but we do highlight the text as well for these conditions.

Please let us know your feedback.

Cary

tree1icons.png tree2icons.png

I like one simple icon. I would like a solid red icon (no X) if failed. The red outline for floaters is good.

I do not like multiple icons, it just uses too much real estate and more importantly too many things to "watch" for or look at. Going from one icon to two is not my cup of tea.

Sorry

tom

icon.jpg

BTW, for what its worth, not a fan of the red arrows on the extrude icons

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

I think the current icon plus the red text, as Dallas said, would be great.

The proposed method is probably fine too, but if the same results are obtained with a text color change only, that seems better than changing something we just got used to.

A red icon with no X might be a problem for some people who do not see colors well, and I think a combo of color and shape is the most recognizable.

Scott

I guess the more I look at it, I actually like the two icon approach. The reason is that if only one icon is present, the feature is valid and no need to look at it. If there are two icons present, it is easier to find and understand there could be an issue. Also, putitng the red X and a yellow indicator on top of the icon seems a bit harder to see since the icons already have yellow and reds in them. Comment?

I guess the more I look at it, I actually like the two icon approach. The reason is that if only one icon is present, the feature is valid and no need to look at it. If there are two icons present, it is easier to find and understand there could be an issue. Also, putitng the red X and a yellow indicator on top of the icon seems a bit harder to see since the icons already have yellow and reds in them. Comment?

28592[/snapback]

Sorry Cary,

But the proposed approach is too confusing and seems cluttered. However, it looks like I'm not gonna win this one tongue.gif

I like IronCAD V2 icons the best.

There needs to be some difference in the feature icon. I like the way it is with the red X but Tom's all red icon really stands out.

Just please don't leave it a plain feature icon with something after it.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I understand your point. I guess the question comes from R&D about the various states of the feature (visible, suppressed, hidden, floating). Today, we only show the Red X on the visible feature icon. So if it is suppressed, you would never notice a feature issues (especially a lost reference issue). With the second icon, we can support all the states.

What is the main consern with the first icon? Is it the ability to see the failed or lost reference more clearly? Or is it the ability to quickly find these feature states in general. What I mean by this is do you as users want to quickly expand part to see the failures or do you want tools to locate these conditions quickly? For example: A search option for Failed and Lost References or some other ER for the Scene Browser to filter to the failed or lost reference features. What I'm trying to understand is how the change in this icon can affect the working mode of IRONCAD.

Please let me know your thoughts

Cary

Since I'd modify one part at a time, I'll know what failed pretty quickly, no need to search. Wouldn't have thought about that. I have no input there. It also wouldn't be suppressed if I'm changing it.

Don't care what happens after the icon. Red text works, but the more that goes in there, the more cluttered it looks, like Tom stated. I'm also not a fan of the red arrows since red usually means bad. It just stands out now that you moved to all yellow and blue.

Steve

I don't use the structured mode, but on other Cad systems I have used, I think it was and is very important to be able to search for failed parts. Especially on a large model when changes are being made. So I would vote there be a search capability.

As for the Icons and color, I would tend to vote for a solid color shape that alerts you to a condition, such as, a solid red triangle for a failure, a yellow square for a caution etc........ That way there is a shape and color that would associate to a condition, that is repeatable. I have not thought this totally thru, but I have always liked a shape/color combination for quick recognition of a status.

Mike

Hi Cary,

I would like you to add a second icon for externally linked parts/assemblies. That would make it a lot easier to see which are externally linked and which are not. Quite many users have asked for this and since we have it in IronPRO XT I'm getting more and more used of it:

SB_ExtLinkIcon.png

I will agree with Mike.

For me, I want to look at the scene borwser and BANG see any problems.

I typicallly work on small custom projects the tree doesn;t get to big. However the search utility idea might be better for larger assemblies.

Mike,

The clear icon indicator is sort of what the second column is doing. It would be a clear standalone icon that can be detected. The issue I quess is that if the indicator overlays the main icon, it could be hard to notice or decifer the icon (for various features). Moving it off of the main icon seems better but I can't say for sure.

Jonas - That is an interesting idea. I assume it could be achieved if we make the second approach change. I will submit this to R&D once we move forward.

Cary

Cary,

I was not clear in how I wrote my comment, but I did mean for it to be a separate icon that followed the "clear" or base icon. I think it is important to leave the original icon in its place, and not cover it with another icon. I should have read my own comment before I sent it. tongue.gif

Mike