Gimbal Lock issue with 3DConnexion Space Pilot

RobH2

Does anyone else use a Space Pilot with Ironcad? If so, have you experienced 'Gimbal Lock' issues. If I approach an object, when I get close using the Space Pilot the whole view will just whip around to some angle instantly. I can't get close enough without it snapping away to a random angle. 

I've used the Space Pilot for years with Max, Maya, Rhino, etc., and don't have this issue. Maybe there is a setting I haven't found or am unaware of. 

Anyone else found a way to prevent the 'Gimbal Lock' snapping?

I'm not sure what you're seeing from reading your post - did you set up a dead zone(for rotating) in space pilot?

Kim

Yes, I have a dead zone. I realize it's difficult to ascertain what I'm describing with text. Next time it happens I'll grab a video. I've moved on for now but as soon as I can I'll upload more info. 

But basically, if I slowly approach an object, as I get close, instead of going closer the whole view will just abruptly flop around instantaneously. I have  to zoom out, find the object and then try to push in again. When I get close again, flip. So what I do is take over and drive with the keyboard and leave the Space Pilot alone. That gets me through. 

I'll record something next time it happens. It's not a show stopper, just annoying now and again. 

Hi RobH2, unfortunately IronCAD does not support Space Mouse perfectly yet. We are still waiting...

Check this thread

Kim

13 hours ago, Bertrand Kim said:

Hi RobH2, unfortunately IronCAD does not support Space Mouse perfectly yet. We are still waiting...

Check this thread

Kim

Thanks for finding that post. Those are the same issues I'm talking about. Glad I'm not the only one. Looks like Ironcad needs to work with 3DConnexion to implement the newest SDK so the problems can be solved. 

For those of you who have zoom speed and similar issues, one thing I've found that helps sometimes is to select your object and hit the 'FIT' button on the Spacemouse. That will center and snap the object to the screen and I guess reset some transforms. The Spacemouse will behave a bit better after doing so, but will start misbehaving again. So, I'm used to hitting the 'FIT' button a lot when using Spacemouse in Ironcad. 

Until Ironcad works with 3DConnexion and updates the SDK it seems like we aren't going to see any fixes. 

• Like 1

Hi rob,  yes this has been a long standing issue, with my spacepilots, spacexplorers, spacenavigators......     and as you say yes the temporary fix is to fit scene.

Edited by Nickul

@Nickul  Thanks for the confirmation. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some setting or tweak. Looks like I'm not. I'll just sit on my hands and be patient. Again, not a major issue at all.