Connect sheet metal parts with bend...?

Gigi

Made a box with the sheet metal tools, then realized I set up the bends wrong. Rather than starting over completely, is it possible to join two sheet metal parts with a bend, and to separate a sheet metal paint at a bend into two parts? Basically, I need to swap around where the bends and welds are to make bending more feasible while continuing to minimize the welding.

Any help on this is appreciated. I'm not finding anything in my searching but sometimes I don't know the right words for what I'm doing. 

Edited by Gigi

• Gigi changed the title to Connect sheet metal parts with bend...?

Hi gigigi

I guess you can't

or can you upload the sample file?

Kim

Depending on the complexity of the box, you should be able to make a new one in less than a minute or two using the miter flange tool under the sheet metal tab. It can be a bit weird to get used to because a bend and not a bend with stock needs to be used. Make sure to uncheck they box in the dialog (cant remember exactly what it says) if you want the flanges (or sides) to be different at some point. 

-Spencer

19 hours ago, Gigi said:

Made a box with the sheet metal tools, then realized I set up the bends wrong. Rather than starting over completely, is it possible to join two sheet metal parts with a bend, and to separate a sheet metal paint at a bend into two parts? Basically, I need to swap around where the bends and welds are to make bending more feasible while continuing to minimize the welding.

Please post the ICS and also add a sketch as to how you want the bend/s changed and I'll have a go at it. But Spencer's right - it takes bugger all time to make a new box with mitre tool ( unless the box is complex )

If you use 'Add stock' onto bends, then you limit your chances to change when using Mitre Flange or any flange for that matter.

Here's the toggle in the mitre flange tool that Spencer was talking about. That needs careful thought when designing boxes.

image.thumb.png.3b85e18e30f1566fc43e786891839ed0.png

Edited by HDEAR

Here's my ICS.

hydroRes_final.ics

You can see, I made the three skinny sides one piece and the other piece is the two big sides with one skinny side between them. It can't easily be bent that way, and is less efficient with material (I think), so I was told it should be set up so each big side has one skinny side on each end of it. One big side with the two ends, the other big side with the top/bottom.

It wouldn't really take much to start over, the main work would be placing the ports and internals. I think I can use the internal parts in a new scene, right?

But the advantage of computer modeling is the flexibility to experiment and modify a design without much work. It seems like it would be very advantageous to be able to move bends around and iterate a sheet metal design with different bend/weld configurations to come up with the best solution. So why wouldn't you want to connect two separate pieces with a bend or remove a bend to make one piece into two? Maybe the feature is on the way?

Any way, if it can't, it cant. Just need to find out.

Here's a picture of the model.

You can , I think, see the top, right side and bottom in this picture are one piece. The front , back and left sides are one piece.

I need the front, left side and right side to be one piece while the back, top and bottom are another. 

PXL_20230504_213408268.jpg

Hi Gigi,

What are the inside ( or outside ) dimensions please? I'll make the sheet metal outer model. Also material thickness, min inside bend radius and K factor.

I'll assume a symmetrical shape unless you say otherwise.

image.png.2b7acd93ff1d8f59450e678173829222.png

Edited by HDEAR