Bug? - See through sheet metal problem

HDEAR

Hi all,

This is happening more often now. I sometimes get sheet metal acting 'see through'. The video shows the problem. Most times it's just on the bends but other times it's on the bends plus the bend stock

It seems to unfold OK and using IC Utils unfold to dfx also. I've deleted all the 'holes, corner break etc that go to nowhere'.

Today I have had several panels, unrelated do the same thing. Weird to say the least.

Harley

Not seen that in sheet metal (we rarely use sheet), but I have seen it in parts. I've found that reordering (drag & drop in the scene tree), one or two of the last shapes in a parts list of intellishapes, sorts out the "see trough" effect.  Don't know the cause of the effects, IronCAD just seem to get "confused" occasionally.

I use sheet metal every day and have not had this happen to me. Maybe graphics driver might help?

You could try to reset the Camera (double click with the mouse middle button, or press [D] or [F8] on your keyboard) or turn off the Perspective projection with [F9]. Does it make any difference?

16 hours ago, Cary OConnor said:

Hi Harley,

Can you attach the scene file or send it to support for us to take a look at?

Cary

Hi Cary - yeah will do tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

15 hours ago, Jonas@Solidmakarna said:

You could try to reset the Camera (double click with the mouse middle button, or press [D] or [F8] on your keyboard) or turn off the Perspective projection with [F9]. Does it make any difference?

Hi Jonas, It seems it's happening most on the sheet metal mitre feature, but Spencer also mentions it could be a graphics card problem and I am suspicious of my graphics card as it behaves differently on every extension screen I use ( 1 at office, 1 at home office and 1 in my hobby room )

Ok! Try changing the kernel once or back and forth?

Looking at your video again I don't think it is a graphical or camera issue. More of a topological or feature issue.
You can try using the Render both sides of the surfaces setting under Part Properties, Rendering.

bild.png.281659da24ee4d69d4a64673906b311d.png

bild.png.e87ff35b66fff603078f64e13f6f9886.png

Hi Harley,

I've just experienced the same problem on a couple of unfolded sheet metal parts. The fix that worked for me was changing kernels (from PARASOLID to ACIS then back to PARASOLID again). Note that it is necessary to click in the scene for kernel changes to take effect.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

Thanks Malcolm,

I didn't think of that. Btw did it happen with you using the Sheet Metal mitred corner feature more that any other SM feature?

Along with Jonas' suggestions, and applying your fix, I guess I can stop worrying about it.

Harley

Hi Harley,

In my two examples yesterday they were simple panels (2 bends only), but with some "trimmed" penetrations and slots (see the attached image). The issue appears in the flat patterns. Perhaps my issues were related to the "trimmed" penetrations.

Malcolm

See Through Sheet Metal Problem - 20210611.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned earlier in the thread, we see this mainly in normal intellishapes, screenshots attached.  This appeared this morning after adding four Cut Cylinders from shapes to the top surface for some M5 cap heads, dragging just one of the four H Cylinders in the tree to a new position removed the "see through", the tree looks the same though.  This behaviour has been in IronCAD for a long time, but I've come to regard it as incidental as a quick re-order always sorts it.

no see through.jpg

see through.jpg