Scene not visible at all...

WPONG

Not sure where to start with this one, but I have a scene with various parts within it (some internal some external, not very large, probably 100-200 parts, many of which are fasteners, etc.) This afternoon I started having troubles with the display keeping up, which I've come to expect when spinning the entire assembly.  Then I began having troubles seeing the assembly at all.  The display froze and gave me the windows blue-donut...

1.  I closed all scenes and reloaded my main scene -- it loads fine, but then nothing displayed (I have parts unsuppressed, and unhidden).  When I double-middle-click to center up the display, I get the windows blue donut...

2.  I closed and reopened IronCAD and reloaded my scene.  Same

3.  I rebooted my machine (HP 8560W, Win7 Pro), Reopened IC, Reloaded my scene.  Same.

I am able to "Open part/assembly" for my external parts

Any ideas?  Not yet breaking into a cold sweat, but a bit nervous here...

Thanks,

--Will

For what it's worth, I've also tried

Tools > Operations > Recreate Display

Tools > Operations > Regenerate

I'd be bummed and embarrassed if there's an obvious fix and I've done something silly, but not so bummed as if there's something corrupt in my assembly...

Other things I've now done:

1. Made a copy of the scene, Deleted all of the bodies in the scene,  I've dragged some new blocks onto the scene ... blank display (they are listed in the browser though)

2. Edit Cross-section of one of those blocks ... blank display

3. "Render Now" after dragging on the blocks... blank render

4.  I've created a brand new scene and dragged on some blocks... they are visible

So it appears the blank-display is associated with just my main scene... is there some setting I've inadvertantly tripped?

--Will

So I've figured out a "workaround," and it is suggestive of a weird bug, but it will take the IC team to decipher, I think.  I'll document for any who encounter something similar, in case it helps, and for the IC team. 

Here's the info:

1.  I clicked on the camera icon drop-down (bottom right, eyeball with page in front if it) and did "save camera" (called it "temp")... didn't help.

2.  Here was my workaround:  I clicked on the camera icon  drop-down again, and selected a previously saved camera ("view1") instead... my scene is visible again! (good thing I had a previously saved camera!)

3.  Here's where it gets buggy:  If I then select the "temp" camera, then a different camera, then "temp" again... my scene reorients differently each time I choose the "temp" camera, and the display freezes (won't spin)

So somehow, it appears that my default "camera" got corrupted during regular manipulation of my model, and it exhibits unstable behavior.

--Will

8 hours ago, WPONG said:

So I've figured out a "workaround," and it is suggestive of a weird bug, but it will take the IC team to decipher, I think.  I'll document for any who encounter something similar, in case it helps, and for the IC team. 

Here's the info:

1.  I clicked on the camera icon drop-down (bottom right, eyeball with page in front if it) and did "save camera" (called it "temp")... didn't help.

2.  Here was my workaround:  I clicked on the camera icon  drop-down again, and selected a previously saved camera ("view1") instead... my scene is visible again! (good thing I had a previously saved camera!)

3.  Here's where it gets buggy:  If I then select the "temp" camera, then a different camera, then "temp" again... my scene reorients differently each time I choose the "temp" camera, and the display freezes (won't spin)

So somehow, it appears that my default "camera" got corrupted during regular manipulation of my model, and it exhibits unstable behavior.

--Will

Hi Will,

Your #2 work around seems a good way of getting it back. I experienced similar issues with earlier versions and as a safe measure I copy everything to a new scene as you did. Newer versions did better and usually one thing that warns me of a problem when file icon display a red to blue gradient like this:ics.png.494bcc9b3ed976a98760c3ca3d940490.png

I also sometimes untick both Use Cached Graphical Display Data and Visual Load when Opening Files to save the current file, but I usually do this as a last resort(given I done the mentioned safe measure). I leave the Use Cached Graphical Display Data on my settings.

87675565_Options_performanceset.png.ee8d2727b5b14793d642e2c30ddda8f9.png

regards - joseph

Edited by jolizon590016

Please go to Tools/Options/Rendering and change the various driver types setting such as OpenGL/ Direct X. You will need to close all scenes first then access this page. Open a new scene and drop a shape to see if this resolves it. Typically it may be the Card on your machine has an outdated driver or may not fully support DirectX so the OpenGL will be a fall back.

Let us know if that helps.

Cary

Sometimes I get randomly Suppressed parts and assemblies and if i suppress them and then suppress them again it all comes back. It is a bit weird for sure, but it doesn't happen all that often. Not sure if this is the case here, but it could be.

- Spencer 

12 minutes ago, SSIMMONS said:

Sometimes I get randomly Suppressed parts and assemblies and if i suppress them and then suppress them again it all comes back. It is a bit weird for sure, but it doesn't happen all that often. Not sure if this is the case here, but it could be.

- Spencer 

Seems like a different issue. In your case Specer, are you using Configurations? If so and if you are using external links, there could be something at play there. Let me know.

Cary

No configurations or external links. Seems to be random in normal/ basic scenes, but like i said it happens maybe once or twice a month. I will try to capture it next time it happens.

- Spencer

5 hours ago, SSIMMONS said:

- Spencer 

Yep - I've had the same. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, it's all come back so I've always thought it was me :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...
On 1/25/2020 at 2:04 AM, WPONG said:

Here's the info:

--Will

A customer of mine had the same problem today.
I solved it as follows.
1 Select everything in the tree.
2 Create an assembly from this selection
3 Save As Part/Assembly.
After opening this new ICS, the parts are visible again.