External Threads

William Risk

there are 2 ways:

1) Model the threads with a helix.

2) Use the *Boss Thread tool in the **IronPRO catalog

*The Boss Thread tool works in millimeters only. Your scene units must be set to millimeters.

**The IronPRO catalog may not be loaded by default. To find this, goto the Catalog Menu and select open: Find the ironpro.icc catalog in C:\Program Files\InnovationSuite\IRONPRO\Catalogs or wherever you have installed IronCAD.

If I need a external threads, often I'll use the Fastener tool to create a screw then delete the head and recess and change the body/threads as needed by editing the cross-section. Pain in the a**, I know. Sounds like an enhancement request...id='Arial'>

Guest svangeldern

William,

If you look at the cross section of a screw created by IC, with threads only on a portion of the screw, you will note that the area where the threads are shown is not actually perpendicular to the ends of the screw (89.994 instead of 90 degrees). This allows you to select this portion of the screw ( Drilldown:FEV)

to apply the thread image, C:\InnovationSuite\Images\3iaoftt.jpg.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=112

So for a pipe, if you spin a profile with the threaded portion angled like a real

pipe thread you should be able to select that portion of the pipe and apply the threads.

Hope this helps,

Steve

post-2974-209-4681.jpg_thumb

Guest svangeldern

Dallas,

I take these steps to eliminate the playing around with the image settings:

1. Let IC create a fastner with the equivalent dia. & thd.

2. Use the eye dropper to select the IC created thread

3. Then apply the eye dropper to the custom part.

4. Delete IC created fastener

Steve

• 1 year later...
Guest Ramzi Asfour

How exactly does IC do thread callouts (internal and external) and transfer them to a drawing ?

I'm not sure I like how the fasteners are modeled in IC. Creating a Conical shape to apply a thread image and info does seems like a very round-about way of doing things.

Is there any way of creating an "externally threaded cylinder" feature in the catalogues ? Something to create a cylindrical intellishape with thread information attached to it (Add-on Properties maybe) which is also transferable to a drawing ?

**Is this something that is upcoming in the next IC release ?

RA

• 1 year later...
Is there an external thread tool in V8?

I need them to show up in the drawing.

10963[/snapback]

If you need the callouts to show up in the drawing (I believe) you need to take the "use a fastener from the tools catalog and delete what you don't need off the part" approach to modeling. Most likely you have already modeled the part and this is not the answer you were looking for...

MikeT

The problem with creating a fastener with the right thread, deleting its head and adding whatever you need is that if you want to modify the thread later IN ANY WAY the part will default to the original fastener and destroy all your added shapes without a trace.

Here's what I do (I have to do external threads all the time)

- create thread profile

- apply the thread image the way Steve described

- in the drawing, add the dashed 0.3mm thick line representing the thread in Edit View mode

- use Text with Leader for the callout.

-Alex

P.S. Adding an external thread tool would be a very much appreciated enhancement, of course rolleyes.gif