Double click 2D Profile/Cross-Section/Extrude in tree to enter sketch/feature mode

Hi,

Most cad software including Catia, NX, Solid Edge, Inventor, Fusion, ZW3D, KOMPAS-3D, if you double click the tree sketch or feature

it will enter the sketch or feature. I know I can press the E key to edit, but that just seems like a added reach to find the E key.

You still have to click the tree and then push the E key for it to work? Why not just double click to edit?

Kind of like pushing the middle mouse button on a browser tab which closes the tab.

That feature came from NetCaptor (originally SimulBrowse) including the middle mouse button to close the tab,

which all new web browsers now do.

There is a forum for Solidworks and the question was asked why double clicking the sketch in the tree it won't enter

into the Sketch. You have to right click and find the edit menu. The work around was still slower than just a double click.

Thanks

We can file an ER for that. As you pointed out, if you select a sketch in the Scene Browser tree or in the scene, E will edit it. If you want to edit the sketch of a feature, Alt-E (this saves the step to find the sketch in the Scene Browser Tree). 

Yes it would be good if this area received some more development

You could tie the double click to a range of features,  edit cross section , smartpaint, materials, triball , parameter etc.

image.png.15e97c27f5a5ecdd6ebe3ca456c33967.png

• Like 1

To be fair, IC works primarily on intellishape features and I generally would not add features like holes etc. in a sketch because if the intellishape bounding box is edited it would mess up the shape and size of those features. I always find it interesting what bothers some people and not others when it comes to this sort of thing. Couldn't hurt to make it easier though, but I would likely never use the feature since I just right click and hit edit sketch and whittling this down from 2 seconds to 1.75 seconds isn't a huge gain in productivity. Is there not currently a way to bind this to a mouse using the customize keyboard shortcut menus (Like select the part and click one button and it automatically brings up that parts cross-section edit)? That might be pretty neat if there isn't.

Note: You could enable Mouse Gestures (Tools-options-interaction-mouse) and set up an action to edit the sketch. For example: Add Edit Selected Feature to the Sketch in the Customization of Mouse Gesture and have it connected to a down drag. Then you can select a sketch and drag down holding right-and-left mouse buttons. Saves you a hotkey movement :)

image.png

I forget about mouse gestures, worth a try.

For me though its not about reducing the time from 2 seconds to 1.75 seconds, its about mouse clicks & movement as I have RSI in my mouse hand, so I'm always on the hunt for reducing clicks.

I do tie what I can to the buttons on my space pilot, especially the tribal and the pop up floaty menu.

Ideally what I need is to press my mouse button once and IronCAD performs 6 months of detail design work for me......     hmm maybe not I'd be out of a job, I didn't think that through....

Edited by Nickul

1 hour ago, Nickul said:

I forget about mouse gestures, worth a try.

For me though its not about reducing the time from 2 seconds to 1.75 seconds, its about mouse clicks & movement as I have RSI in my mouse hand, so I'm always on the hunt for reducing clicks.

I do tie what I can to the buttons on my space pilot, especially the tribal and the pop up floaty menu.

Ideally what I need is to press my mouse button once and IronCAD performs 6 months of detail design work for me......     hmm maybe not I'd be out of a job, I didn't think that through....

Haha hey, I am quickly approaching some Carpal Tunnel so I can understand that. I use both hands for the mouse and trade off to get some wrist relief sometimes. I use a 12 button MMO mouse so clicking the buttons with my left pinky took some practice for sure.

9 hours ago, SSIMMONS said:

Haha hey, I am quickly approaching some Carpal Tunnel so I can understand that. I use both hands for the mouse and trade off to get some wrist relief sometimes. I use a 12 button MMO mouse so clicking the buttons with my left pinky took some practice for sure.

Are you ambidextrous? I want to try my left hand as well because of the pain, but it's not easy. 

image.png.283f077076e44c921685aca83a801089.png

Anyways this wrist cushion saved me especially click finger. You guys have to try.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:57 PM, Bertrand Kim said:

Are you ambidextrous? I want to try my left hand as well because of the pain, but it's not easy. 

image.png.283f077076e44c921685aca83a801089.png

Anyways this wrist cushion saved me especially click finger. You guys have to try.

I am cross-dominant. For instance, my highest bowling score is 200 points and it is shared by my right and left hands. I cannot snowboard with my right foot back like most right handed people, only goofy stance. I play pool left handed and am horrible right handed. I can throw a frisbee well with either hand. I write right handed and throw a baseball right handed, but I can throw left. It just depends on the task. I do pick things up much faster no matter what it is, but some things I am just terrible at with one hand or the other. I am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance (which is a bit weird at times). It's just all over the place really.

• Haha 1