Intelligent assemblies/parts

A while back I watched a video by Ironcad in which an object was created and if you modified (stretch) the object would automatically add the necessary parts in the correct location. As an example, the user creates an 8 ft. platform with support legs every four feet. In the video it showed how the user could stretch the platform to 40 feet and Ironcad would automatically place new supports every 4 ft. have been trying to find the video to learn this technique as I could use this capability while designing my new project. Has anybody else seen or know where this video can be found. All responses are appreciated.

Hello Guys:

Both videos are what I need and thanks. The video from IronKevin explains how to make the parts I need but I have an issue now with axis position. In my situation I created my frame by first dragging an extrusion (I remember when it was called a block) and sizing it to what I needed. The axes are as follows, L (length) goes away into the screen/monitor, H (height) is up and down, and W (width) is left and right. My issue occurs when I rotate to make a copy. With that part, I noticed that its local axes are 90 degrees out of wack. That is, the Properties window (re: sizebox) shows the part with the same dimensions as the original except what is now the height (when looking in the same plane) retains the same axes orientation as the original part. So what was the width of the original part is actually the height of the new part and the height of the original part is now the width of the new part but the properties sizebox does not make the correction so that the dimensions align with the orientation of the new part. Generally speaking I could care less when creating something where the parameters don't matter but they  do in this video and it means I have to keep track manually as to what the axes are for each part. Is there a setting that when an object is rotated all of the dimensions of the part will correspond to the global axes? Is this question one that needs pictures?

I strongly suspect I did something similar when I made a few of my smart models, however, fortunately for me the orientation doesnt matter. I think you may be able to fix this issue if you delve back into the construction of your smart models and re-orientate your sizebox part so it aligns with how you want your model to work (or the other way around depending on what is easier). Another option would be to change what your parameters are pointing to.

Now I think on it does your model expand in a different direction to what the handles drag the sizebox to?

2 hours ago, wile e coyote Genius said:

Is this question one that needs pictures?

I think we need a video.

Hello all. After viewing the videos I was able to create a smart assembly (studded wall).

In the picture you will see that it is made of 2 side boards, studs inside them, a top and bottom rail and 2 sizes of insulation. All components are the correct size of parts typically bought at a lumber store. Unfortunately when expanding the assembly it didn't result in the way I thought it should. In the picture of the extended assembly you can see that there are missing components. My thought is, Ironcad is not capable of showing a partial amount of the arrays (true or false). I have also added a picture of the "Parameters Panel" as added info about the assembly. For a first time attempt I am happy with the results but it is a long way from my goal. It would be nice if partial arrays could be included. Where would I get a complete document of the parameter commands with explanations? Essentially in the case of the wall I want to have the ability of the smart assy. (wall in this case) to have its own properties table that the user can set all of the desired aspects of the assy. and transfer those selections to the parts parameter table. In the end the user would drag and drop the part from the catalog, the properties window opens, the user can change what is needed or keep it as it is. At that point the user can select the assy. and push and pull the handles to get the size they want. The assembly needs to be smart enough to use standard sized components. As an example, typical 2 x 4 boards come in standard sized lengths (8', 10', 16') so that when the user drags the assy. (wall) it will be smart enough to pick the best fit (8' long wall select 8' board, 12' long wall select a cut 16' board and such). Can smarts like these be done through the parameters table? Do the properties windows need to be programed as part of IC? I see an opportunity to create smart architectural assy.s that can simplify building designing. Looking for some guidance as to where to find the necessary information to hopefully create my smart assemblies.

Regards to all.

Smart Studded Wall.jpg

Extended Smart Studded Wall.jpg

Parameters Table Smart Studded Wall.jpg

I can see that your sizebox has become offset from the actual shape, I certainly encountered that a lot when I was setting up my smart model, but the only way I remember fixing it was to literally backtrack to before whatever change caused it. There may well be better ways but I didnt find them. 

Your parameters look a bit odd to me, but that might be my inexperience. All your equations are integer based, which iirc round down, so the section of missing components looks like a working as written scenario to me. You should add a remainder fill section to your parameters and model, typically I would make this section always there and with range of [0,1) unit (if I read correctly 96" in this case), unless you want to have the model move in steps.