CAXA - Broken out section on isometric

PWATSON

Is it possible to create a broken out section on an isometric view in CAXA....

I have a tank system that i am trying to create a manual for and i would like to be able to break away the outside of the tank to display the internal components but i cant seem to figure out how to do it.. I would rather not just hide the side plates, but actually show them broken away.

Am i missing something simple?:wacko:

Thanks,

Peter

image.thumb.png.cc644cb46b80e7ee539cdcc2d19eb95e.png

Hi Peter,

To my knowledge, the Section and Broken-Out Section tools don't work with Isometric Views. To achieve any type of Sectioned Isometric View in CAXA we create the desired section in a specific "Configuration" within the 3D Scene, that we can then select when generating the View. The principle is demonstrated in the attached video. These sections can be created using the "Section" tool, or by using "Assembly Features" (necessary for Broken-Out Sections).

Malcolm

• Like 2

I thought the most complex and largest example of IronCAD 3D modeling was a spherical gas turbine.

Using IronCAD to 3D design a building from CAXA to drawings is amazing. 

I've asked Bing Chart and Open AI Chat a few times which software is best for FA and PLANT design, IronCAD or Inventor or SolidWorks, and without fail they recommend Inventor and SolidWorks.
In my opinion, IronCAD is not bad either, but...

Hi tgjang,

I just used that old example because I knew it had many Sectioning Configurations already setup in it; but I don't consider that model to be complex compared to other work we do. For that particular project we needed to create a 3D model of an existing Multi-Storey Building (over 100 years old), so that we could then add various new Structural Elements for Earthquake Strengthening purposes. So, it doesn't include all of the details (such as steel reinforcement and connection details) that would have been needed for constructing the original building. We only needed to add details for what was to be added for strengthening.

If you're curious regarding the types of structural drawings produced in CAXA from this 3D model have a look at the attached PDFs.

Malcolm

W140507c-S11-S19-BC1 Plan Sections.pdf W140507c-S21-S32-BC1 Southern Sections.pdf W140507c-S41-S44-BC1 Western Sections.pdf W140507c-S51-S60-BC1 Strengthening Details and Pile Cap.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Malcolm
Thank you very much for your very valuable material. I see that you used IronCAD and CAXA as if they were dedicated programs for architectural design.
I thought I had to use Ravit or AutoCAD third party program for architecture, but it looks like IronCAD works too.
I see that IronCAD can be used for architectural design.

Thank you.

I do very large structures in exclusively IC all the time. It has worked great so far! All built and in the field as we speak. I use ICD though instead of CAXA. Don't get Malcolm started on that subject though haha just kidding. Maybe one day we will make the CAXA shift.

Edited by SSIMMONS
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi Peter,

To my knowledge, the Section and Broken-Out Section tools don't work with Isometric Views. To achieve any type of Sectioned Isometric View in CAXA we create the desired section in a specific "Configuration" within the 3D Scene, that we can then select when generating the View. The principle is demonstrated in the attached video. These sections can be created using the "Section" tool, or by using "Assembly Features" (necessary for Broken-Out Sections).

Malcolm

This is something I've never messed around with but I feel like it will be very helpful. The way we typically create configurations so that they don't affect the other configs we've created (when doing sub assembly and exploded views for instructions) we select the top and bottom (of the top section). I'm noticing that when I dropped a hole block on an assembly and it created the assembly feature that even though the AF is suppressed in my other configurations, it is still showing on screen and in drawing views. It is vice versa as well, if I hide it in another configuration then it shows as unsuppressed in my scene browser but isn't visible in the scene unless I select and unsuppress again. Do you know if this is just due to the configuration options selected and if there's one that should or should not be used?

- Configuration options selected:

image.png.f8f22bf22b1c16049ed835f56f4f16f0.png

Configuration with AF active:

image.thumb.png.e4fed862e70103e8ef142e063bcec70e.png

Earlier configuration shown suppressed but still visible:

image.thumb.png.14b7033ae9426ba3a98934edacff358f.png

Also, clearly you work within CAXA draft for your drawings where we typically work within the 2D drawing environment. Do you find there's more of an advantage in CAXA such as tools or speed? I worked with AutoCAD in high school and college (two decades ago now almost) so my flow of working in an environment like CAXA would be slow to learn tools, commands, setting up views, etc. but if it's better in the long run then I'd be willing to put more time into it.

Thank you,

-Logan

Hi Logan,

The important thing to keep in mind regarding "Assembly Features" is that they are Features (Intellishapes). Therefore when you create Configurations for controlling the suppression state of these, you need to select the option "Track suppression of Intellishapes ...". See the attached image. I've also attached a video demonstrating the process.

Note that this isn't the only way, but it is the easiest. The other way doesn't require this option selection; but it involves setting up Suppression Parameters and Design Variations. This is more involved, which is why I've chosen not to demonstrate it,

Malcolm

Assembly Features - Suppressing - Configurations.png

Assembly Features - Assembly.ics Assembly Features - Red Part.ics Assembly Features - Yellow Part.ics

Hi Logan,

Yes, regarding 2D Drafting we use CAXA DRAFT. Attached is a "Tools Comparison" document that I created back in 2022. Additional capabilities have been added to both ICD and CAXA since then, but you might find it helpful. I've also attached the document "CAXA DRAFT - Why?". This doesn't go into the "Tools" but rather what I consider to be the important points.

Malcolm

CAXA DRAFT - Tools Comparison - 20220909.pdf CAXA DRAFT - Why - 20230301.pdf

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

10 hours ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi Logan,

Yes, regarding 2D Drafting we use CAXA DRAFT. Attached is a "Tools Comparison" document that I created back in 2022. Additional capabilities have been added to both ICD and CAXA since then, but you might find it helpful. I've also attached the document "CAXA DRAFT - Why?". This doesn't go into the "Tools" but rather what I consider to be the important points.

Malcolm

CAXA DRAFT - Tools Comparison - 20220909.pdf 54.7 kB · 3 downloads CAXA DRAFT - Why - 20230301.pdf 47.43 kB · 3 downloads

Hi Malcom, I appreciate you putting together the explanation and videos for me, that'll be a big help. I haven't watched yet but would that "track intellishape" option need to be selected for ALL configurations or just the one that it's been created in?  As for the CAXA vs ICD, I'm going to read through these and see if it makes sense to try to change the process. We have several people who use ICD so it would be pulling teeth to get everyone to try to switch to a completely new process while we're still perfecting the one we have but I have no problem if it makes sense for me. 

Thanks again,

-Logan 

11 hours ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi Logan,

The important thing to keep in mind regarding "Assembly Features" is that they are Features (Intellishapes). Therefore when you create Configurations for controlling the suppression state of these, you need to select the option "Track suppression of Intellishapes ...". See the attached image. I've also attached a video demonstrating the process.

Note that this isn't the only way, but it is the easiest. The other way doesn't require this option selection; but it involves setting up Suppression Parameters and Design Variations. This is more involved, which is why I've chosen not to demonstrate it,

Malcolm

Assembly Features - Suppressing - Configurations.png

Assembly Features - Assembly.ics 84 kB · 0 downloads Assembly Features - Red Part.ics 72 kB · 0 downloads Assembly Features - Yellow Part.ics 72 kB · 0 downloads

This answers the question I had below about which configurations needed that intellishape selection to be made on. I knew intellishape changes always tracked between configurations for us but didn't stop to realize that the assembly features would be acting in the same way. Thanks for the video sir.