Combining Images, 2D Geometry and Generated Views (CAXA)

Malcolm Crowe

Sometimes we need to combine images (such as aerial photos) with 2D Geometry and Generated Views within our 2D Drawings. Attached are a couple of examples of these types of drawings. These examples were prepared in CAXA DRAFT for preliminary site layout discussions with clients.

After inserting images in CAXA DRAFT, scale the image until a known distance between 2 points is equal to a scale of 1:1. That is, if you know that the distance of an existing structure or boundary is 25m, then scale the inserted image until those points measure 25m within CAXA DRAFT (using the "Distance" tool). Then create a "Block" that includes that image and any 2D Geometry that you want to add. For example, if you want to be able to dimension to an existing structure or boundary then draw some lines (2D geometry) over those areas so that you can reference them later.

Having created the "Block" at a scale of 1:1, now scale the "Block" within the Properties Browser so that it fits within the drawing. This is the same process used for scaling Generated Views. Then when you insert a Generated View into the drawing (on top of the "Block"), set the scale of that Generated View to the same as the "Block" beneath it. The "Align" tool in CAXA can be used to perfectly position the Generated View relative to geometry added within the "Block".

Then add dimensions and other annotations as required.

Malcolm

CAXA - Combining Images, 2D Geometry and Generated Views 1.png

CAXA - Combining Images, 2D Geometry and Generated Views 2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if this work process is possible in ICD. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a pain. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear about it.

By the way, do you use a metric system in New Zealand?

Kim

Excellent example Malcolm..

This is one of the reasons I really like Caxa draft. I do this very often when clients send us drawings in pdf format. Same Principal. I then overlay our equipment and send back to the customer for review ect...

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bertrand Kim said:

By the way, do you use a metric system in New Zealand?

Kim

Hi Kim. Yes, but some of us old farts were brought up with the British Imperial system until the country metricated between 1967 and 1974 ( last stage was road distances going from miles to kilometers in 1974 ). That makes us multi-lingual :P

Harley 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, HDEAR said:

Hi Kim. Yes, but some of us old farts were brought up with the British Imperial system until the country metricated between 1967 and 1974 ( last stage was road distances going from miles to kilometers in 1974 ). That makes us multi-lingual :P

Harley 

Hi Harley,

TY so much. I'm happy to know that. Have a great missile day!

Kim

• 4 months later...

Attached is a video demonstrating how to scale an imported image (aerial photo), so that a known distance within the image measures correctly at a scale of 1:1 within CAXA. This is important, because we want to be able to combine the image (photo) with other 2D and 3D geometry.

After scaling any image to the correct size, I recommend defining it as a "Block" (and include any other desired 2D geometry to help with dimensioning, locating, etc.). When the "Block" is created, it is created with a scale of 1:1 (which is what you want). When this "Block" is then inserted within a layout, the "Block" can be scaled (using the Properties Browser) in the same way that a Generated View is.

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attached is a video demonstrating how to combine 2D geometry (located in a Block) with 3D geometry (located in a Generated View) within "Model Space". And to then display this combined geometry within "Layout Space" at different view scales using "Viewports". This includes how to use the "Align" tool to perfectly position the 3D geometry on top of the 2D geometry, and how to "Pan" (position) the model within the Viewports.

This is a good example of when to "Generate Views" within "Model Space" (instead of directly within "Layout Space).

Malcolm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If anyone is interested, Blender has an addon called GIS which can pull in geography, topographical, and image data from public satellite information and use the topographical data to extrude land mass (mountains, valleys, etc.) and building also. You can then import this and use a top view to project the edges of all the objects or just bring directly into ICD, It is an extremely impressive tool, highly recommend trying. You can also generate a 3D landscape from a real one almost instantly if you are a videogame creator etc. When used in conjunction with IC, all sorts of crazy things are possible.

image.png.0d9b2a5f390cbf600eb2ac3fbfbb8ab0.png

• Like 2

Thanks Malcolm for update!

Thanks Ssimmons! That is very useful add-on! I'm very interested in the simulation node added in Blender 3.6! I'm surprised at the development capabilities of a free, open-source program!

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim