Adding parts to Weldments

HDEAR

Hi Cary et al.

In your structured weldment creation video, you mention that users can add their own sized weldments into the table found in... 

C:\Program Files\IronCAD\20XX\AppData\en-us\Steelbars labelled SteelFrameData.txt

Is it possible to add your own extrusion shape to this table?  For example the shape I have attached. 

Harley

DDL-20 Frame.ics

Edited by HDEAR
  • Haha 1

Hmm...This is interesting...

I would have never thought we could do that in IronCAD. Thanks for this post Harley.

I wish we could just use any profile and be saved from parameter hell.

Kim

I think you refer to "Add custom structured frame" in the Structured Parts toolbar

I tried this earlier today and it was really easy to get going.

Just create a new scene and draw a 2d sketch with the profile and add dimensions and constraints to that sketch. Save that single sketch to a new .ics

Then follow this:

https://www.ironcad.com/support/2023/IRONCAD_Help/Content/3D_Design_Environment/Part_Design_Process/Add_Custom_Structured_Frame.htm

Edited by GNÄSLUND

Thanks GNaesland. 

You mentioned you tried this. Did you use that profile I posted in my original post, or something more simplistic of your own?

With this particular profile, there's only ever one size in terms if the underlying 2D sketch. It's making the overall frame size using 4 lengths of that extrusion into a rectangle that I am trying to achieve. Therefore is it necessary to totally restrain that underlying 2D sketch of the profile?

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

I tried a simpler sketch since I dont know how to extract that sketch you did to a standalone sketch. See video below.

However there seems to be a bug, since the finished profile is not quite the same as I started with. It is missing the 45 degree part. See pictures below.

vlc_OGAe9PSzPA.png.3419b94413d47b54c348c04615de9076.png

vlc_K4kqVQKb9X.png.d98741459a09e6866ba178e34068da13.png

Edited by GNÄSLUND

Thanks for that and spending your time to make the video,

Yes, a pity the 45 degree angle you made in the complete profile doesn't come across. Also, I'd need to have 45 degree mitres on the corners.

I aim to end up producing this ( my attached profile being the outer frame );
image.png.ee88be1716178e98d4c691ae1ed2e082.png

Harley

Why there is no "Add Custom Structured Frame" in my Ribbonbar unlike Gnaslund's video?

Is this a new tool delivered with version 2023?

image.thumb.png.7aa6ebe88ec52cf42ffc9d4cf89c5eb4.png

Sad :(

Kim