Attach one end to rotate part...

Gigi

Hi folks.

I'm starting a new thread like I should have...

I want to attach one end of a part to something so the other end can be moved to change angle. I know I can put the Triball at one end and rotate, but then I can't measure the distance the other end traveled, or bump it up to something. For instance if I make a ramp, I could start with a horizontal structure, then move one end up to the desired height. Move it to meet the ground, or to a given height. Or is there a better way to approach this? I'm not sure about the vocabulary here so I may not be communicating well.

I can't seem to make my computer take a screenshot -- windows on a mac -- but I attached an .ics file with an example scenario.

Kim started answering here, but I don't really understand what they did to get there: 

ramp_angle_test.ics

Gigi, what you are trying to do is simple, but how you are doing it may throw you into trouble. If you are using the pull-push handles then where you click is the key issue, the handles will move the part face so that the point you clicked is on the same plane as the face. I encounter this a fair bit, and as I only need to the nearest millimeter accuracy my method is to roughly find the intersection point then zoom in and try to click on the intersection.

This likely isn't the best option, but is relatively fast and flexible.

4 hours ago, ASPEER said:

Gigi, what you are trying to do is simple, but how you are doing it may throw you into trouble. If you are using the pull-push handles then where you click is the key issue, the handles will move the part face so that the point you clicked is on the same plane as the face. I encounter this a fair bit, and as I only need to the nearest millimeter accuracy my method is to roughly find the intersection point then zoom in and try to click on the intersection.

This likely isn't the best option, but is relatively fast and flexible.

Not sure what you mean by that. Handles on an inteleshape? Doesn't that just modify the shape? I want to rotate it as it is. Maybe I just don't understand? 

Hi Gigi,

I downloaded your ICS file, but I was unable to open it. So, based on what you've described above along with your previous post, I've tried to demonstrate in the attached video what I think you're trying to achieve. To solve these types of problems we typically use "Layout Sketches", so that is what I'm demonstrating here. My apologies if I have completely misunderstood what you're trying to achieve, but perhaps this will still give you some other ideas that you can apply elsewhere.

Malcolm

Sheet Metal Layout Sketch - 20230117.ics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3