2 Q's: making a part smaller, remove "smart paint" settings

Gigi

1 is a how do you do it question: I import a STEP file from McMaster of a pipe nipple that I will weld on. However I've either modified the actual part or this is just an available model of one similar enough. So I'd like to shorten it. I'm thinking of two options relative to real world: cut off one end -- most applicable here, or remove some from the middle -- could be useful. Just wondering how you'd do this? To shorten, I can see using the split tool and throw out the part I don't use, or could use any negative shape. But is there a better way?

2. I added some color to differentiate my sheet metal parts, however I inadvertently colored one side of a 3 sided part (a part made of stock with two bends), really I'd like to have the whole part colored as one, but when I select at the whole part level, the one side is overriding the color... make sense? same if I set transparency for one side, then I can't adjust transparency for the whole part as one. So can I remove the smart paint settings? I'm not seeing such an option.

Hi Gigi,

1. Regarding editing of imported geometry, one of the options available is to use the "Direct Face Editing" tools. The link below is to a forum post with a new video demonstrating how to use the "Move Face" tool, and one of the examples involves lengthening and shortening an imported Hex Nipple.

2. To override SmartPaint properties that have been applied to faces, you need to select the Part (part level selection), then open the SmartPaint Properties dialog box. Once open, ensure that the "Replace Surface Styles" option is selected (in the top right corner), then click OK. The link below is to a forum post that includes a video demonstrating this (around the 4 min 30 sec mark).

Malcolm

• Like 1