Save as - linked files

HDEAR

Hi all,

Now and again, I want to save an assembly that has linked files as a 'Save As' , but I do not want any of those individual files linked in the assembly I am copying as a 'Save As' - if that makes sense.

Normally, prior to saving I would go into File-->Find References, and unlink everything before doing any 'Save as' 

However I thought I'd try using the radio buttons on the Save As menu that pops up and control things from there rather than doing the laborious File-->Find References, and unlink.

So, my logic says to use the 'Do not process linked files'. I tried that BUT the new file still shows that all the linked parts in the previous file, are still linked.

I didn't dare use any other buttons just in case I destroyed the file. Why did the files still link ( shown in File-->Find References ) after I selected the Do not process... ?

Harley

image.png.479316cc63829e6c063754f4d699de9c.png

Hi Harley,

Over here we have run into similar "problems".  When we began externally-linking part/assembly scene files (with the goal of creating a 3D Standard Part library in which all of our standardized equipment shared externally-linked parts and subassemblies) trying to decipher some of the tool tips and dialogs was nerve-wracking.

In your case, "Do not process linked files" just means that when you "Save As", it does nothing to the linked files associated with what you are saving, hence everything was still linked (any linked parts contained within the newly-saved assembly scene would point back to their original external link location).

One method to achieve what you want is as you described - to use the "Find References" and unlink everything manually.  This is, as you know, quite tedious.

Another method that we have used is to use the ICMechanical tool called "External Link Manager", this will allow you to completely unlink everything in a scene (or individual parts).  The only caveat with this is that unlinking everything also breaks internal links between parts, which can be annoying when you have a lot of linked parts/subassemblies that then have to be deleted and replaced (to maintain internal links, but have no external links).  Using this tool seems to be the safest method we have found to quickly, and relatively safely, unlink many parts/assemblies.

Hopefully this helps - I know how nerve-wracking it is working with externally-linked files and not being 100% confident it will work the way you intend.

Best regards,

- Sam

Hi Harley,

In my opinion, when working within a collaborative environment (among other reasons), it's important to work with externally linked files. So understanding and having confidence in how externally linked files work is important. To help with that I've attached a video demonstrating the following:

1. Starting with a single scene file then creating external linked files.

2. Starting with an assembly file containing external links, and removing those external links to create a single scene file.

Regarding what you specifically want to do, these are the steps involved.

1. Open the main assembly file (from previous project) that contains all of the externally linked files.

2. Use "Save As" to create a new file (so that you don't edit the original). This can be in the same location or a different one. Choose "Do not process linked files" as this isn't necessary.

3. Remove all of the external links in this new file using "Find References" in the File Menu. Shift select all of the links and then click "Unlink". You don't need to unlink one at a time.

4. Save the changes you've made (that is, the removal of the external links). You now have a single scene file that you can edit without affecting the original files.

Note that whenever you remove external links, you are only removing the "Link" and not the linked files themselves. Those linked files remain as they were.

I hope that is clear enough to follow.

Malcolm

@Malcolm Crowe Thanks Malcolm. Helpful as always :)

@SHORNBRO Thanks Sam. Although I have IC Mech, we only ever use it for converting sheet metal parts into 1:1 unfolded dxf's ( and even that will no longer be required soon due to a nice feature in CAXA that Malcolm has made for us ). Every other time I have used IC Mech it sometimes slows down my machine ( even a new power Desktop PC I have ), freezes at odd times ( fastener assemblies especially ) or behaves erratically, so I am skeptical about using it for filing stuff.

Harley

On 2/17/2022 at 8:55 PM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi Harley,

In my opinion, when working within a collaborative environment (among other reasons), it's important to work with externally linked files. So understanding and having confidence in how externally linked files work is important. To help with that I've attached a video demonstrating the following:

1. Starting with a single scene file then creating external linked files.

2. Starting with an assembly file containing external links, and removing those external links to create a single scene file.

Regarding what you specifically want to do, these are the steps involved.

1. Open the main assembly file (from previous project) that contains all of the externally linked files.

2. Use "Save As" to create a new file (so that you don't edit the original). This can be in the same location or a different one. Choose "Do not process linked files" as this isn't necessary.

3. Remove all of the external links in this new file using "Find References" in the File Menu. Shift select all of the links and then click "Unlink". You don't need to unlink one at a time.

4. Save the changes you've made (that is, the removal of the external links). You now have a single scene file that you can edit without affecting the original files.

Note that whenever you remove external links, you are only removing the "Link" and not the linked files themselves. Those linked files remain as they were.

I hope that is clear enough to follow.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

I have created a model with all my desired assemblies, and then saved each assembly out as a linked assembly.

Before I did this I made sure to orient each assemblies triball to global at the zero coordinate.

The problem I'm having is that my linked out models seems to not be in the same orientation, hoe do I maintain the orientation down to my linked files?

Thank you

Hi Heinrich,

You mentioned that you orientated the "Triball" of each Assembly. What you want to do is check and edit (if necessary) the orientation and location of the "Anchor" of each Assembly and Part using the Triball. When you save the Parts and Assemblies as externally linked files, the created files will maintain the positioning of the original scene. However, when you insert these Parts and Assemblies into another scene they will orientate so that their Anchor is aligned with the Global Coordinates of the new scene (or the Anchor of the Part they are dropped on).

Attached is a video demonstrating what I've described. I hope that makes sense.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe