Added spin to shape... Now assemble?

Gigi

I have a threaded nipple for a tank downloaded from mcmaster. I wanted a lip on the nipple to sit inside the hole that would be in the tank where it welds on. So I put a spin on the nipple, .125 from the end and .125 from the outside diameter. But then I forgot about this and I moved the nipple. The spin, which is not  visible on its own, didn't come with and for a minute I was confused about why I didn't have a lip on the back of the nipple any more. 

So my first question: would the appropriate step be to assemble the spin and nipple to make it behave as one? Or is there a better technique? 

Secondly: in trying to realign the spin with the nipple, I can't move the tribal on the spin. Nothing on it lights up when I try to reposition. Just things behind it. Like it's not really there to align with. What am I doing wrong here? The spin is a negative shape, but I think I should be able to work with its geometry

Thanks in advance 

If you want to assembly two or more parts, select them, then click Assemble in the Assembly ribbon bar (or right-click assemble).

I might have to see your file to answer the re-alignment question. If you don't want to post the file here you could send it to support@ironcad.com

You probably want a boolean operation to combine the two parts into one part. It sounds like you created two parts instead of editing a cross-section to create one (it is a Mc part so I can see why you would do it this way). Like Kevin said though, we might need to see either the file or a video to know exactly what you are looking for,

-Spencer

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input.

I figured the first part out: The spin is actually in the part. I can see that in the tree, but if I don't pay attention and click twice to select it, I have drilled in one level and only selected the solid part, not the spin, so I moved it without the spin and thought I needed to combine them when they're really already a unit.

Second issue, though still bothering me, maybe it's a bug or I'm missing something. Video attached, hopefully you can see it.

If I select the spin, I can activate the Tri-Ball to move it, but if I reposition the Tri-ball, it won't snap to any part of the spin. Just solid objects. Also, when I rotate the scene, holding the pointer on any object causes rotation around that object, whereas if the pointer is in empty space it rotates around the center of the scene. However hovering the pointer on the spin when I rotate, does not result in rotating around the spin's center.

Anyone have info on this problem?

That is normal behaviour from my experience. Usually when I want to move the triball to a part of the cut I move the cut into a solid then move the triball to the point. I havent tried moving the camera around a cut shape, but neither would I expect it to work.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:31 PM, ASPEER said:

That is normal behaviour from my experience. Usually when I want to move the triball to a part of the cut I move the cut into a solid then move the triball to the point. I havent tried moving the camera around a cut shape, but neither would I expect it to work.

I know a cut spin is technically not a solid, it's more literally a property of another part, but we still need to manipulate it in the modeling environment, so it seems like it should act like a solid there.