Section Lines with Custom Symbols (CAXA)

Malcolm Crowe

While CAXA has excellent tools and annotation symbols included for Mechanical Engineering applications, it doesn't include annotation symbols commonly used in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or Architectural applications. However, it isn't difficult to create the necessary custom symbols as "Blocks" or "CAXA Symbols" (Part Library).

CAXA doesn't offer the ability to integrate custom "Sectioning Symbols" within it's Section Line Style. As a result, it's necessary to lay CAXA's Section Lines on top of inserted custom "Sectioning Symbols" (to achieve the desired end result). The process that we use is described below and demonstrated in the attached video.

1. We have a "Section Line Style" named "Without Arrows" that we use for these applications. Within this "Style" we have turned off as much as we can, to try and create a simple section line only. Within the "Style" there is no option to turn off the Section Symbol Labels, so the placement of these needs to be avoided (as per step 4 below).

2. We set the "Auto Layer Rule" within Options, so that generated Section Lines are placed on our "Standard Non-Printing" layer. While we want to use the Sectioning Tools for generating our Sectioned Views, we don't want the generated Section Line (as defined by our "Without Arrows" style) to be printed. Alternatively, the layer can be easily changed in the Properties Browser after placement.

3. We insert the desired custom Section Symbol from the Part Library.

4. From the Ribbon Menu we select either the "Section View" or "Partial Section" tool, and take careful note of the options displayed at the bottom left of the screen. In option 3 we select "Manual Placement of Section Label" (this is important to prevent automatically inserting unwanted labels). We then place the points of the Cutting Line on top of our custom Section Symbol. After right-clicking to finish defining the Cutting Line, we left click on the desired direction arrow. CAXA then asks for the position of the labels. Instead of left-clicking to place labels, simply right-click instead to complete label insertion. No labels will be inserted, and CAXA will begin generating the sectioned view.

5. The inserted Section Line shouldn't show any arrows, but for some unknown reason CAXA is overriding the selected no arrow style setting. When the Section Line is selected, this shows as "red" in the Properties Browser. To correct this, simply click on the "Delete Override" button at the top right of the Property Browser. This sets the values as per the selected style.

Hopefully this demonstrates clearly what is possible, when working with custom symbols..

Malcolm

CAXA - Section Lines with Custom Symbols.PNG

CAXA - Section Line Styles - Without Arrows (use with custom symbols).PNG

CAXA - Section Line Properties - Delete Override (incorrect arrow setting).PNG

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 2

Hi  @Malcolm Crowe

Thanx allot for these tips, exactly what I need.

I just want to find out how you made your parametric section line to change the length of the line. Did you do it in IronCad or in AutoCAD?

I'm referring to your video @ 3:45 where you change your dim spec. If you did do this in IronCad could you please tell me where I can set this up for my section lines.

I wanted to create dynamic blocks in AutoCAD and bring it to CAXA, but I don't have a license for AutoCAD at the moment, so I'm hoping that I can achieve this within IronCad

Thank you

Hi Heinrich,

AUTOCAD Dynamic Blocks won't work dynamically in CAXA. They will only display in their current state, which isn't going to be helpful to you. The Parametric Blocks (called CAXA Symbols) in my video were created in CAXA. The process of creating these is explained in the following tip.

This is a very simple example of what is possible. Have a look at this post (there are 2 videos), and then ask questions if needed.

Malcolm

Thanx @Malcolm Crowe I got all my custom symbols working.

I have changed my section auto layer to not print, are these setting not stored per template?

I have a different template for other projects where I use IC's default section symbols, but I see they are also on the non printing layer(after changing this template). Is this a setting I will have to change for each project depending on my symbols I'm using, or is there a way to have these settings saved with the different templates to avoid having to set it for different projects.

I can see how my colleugues are going to forget to change and end up with a batch of drawings with section lines not printing.

Hi Heinrich,

The "Auto Layer Rule" is a "Global Setting" and will be applied to all drawings. Any "Layer" setting are "Drawing Specific".

Any changes (or settings) that you make to "Styles (including Layers) are saved in the current drawing that you have open. It doesn't change the original Template used to make the current drawing or the "Global Settings". You need to open your applicable Template file(s) and make the change to the desired Layer (to not print). Then save that file. Then any drawing created from that Template(s) will adopt that "do not print" Layer setting.

I hope that helps.

Malcolm

• 2 months later...

@Malcolm Crowe

Hi Malcolm.

How do you get those 'introduced' section labels to move with the view - if you need to move the view that is?

I find ( probably because of my set up ) that the section labels in my drawings are abysmally small. I like your system. However some drawings may have up to ( say ) 8 sectional views and often I like to move these around to gain maximum tidiness and symmetry.

Thanks,

Harley

Hi Harley,

Whenever you want Annotations (whether text, symbols, etc.....) to move with the View, then you need to place them inside the View itself. This is what CAXA does when it automatically generates it's Section View Labels. To do this you need to hover over geometry of the View and double-click (left mouse button). The View then enters "Block Editing" mode. Note that when inside a View, you are now working at a scale of 1:1 (like working in Model Space or within the 3D Scene), so you may need to scale whatever you are placing inside the View.

In the attached video I demonstrate how to copy the original symbols (which were outside the View) and then paste them inside the View.

Malcolm

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Section Lines with Custom Symbols (CAXA)