Combining Assembly and Part Levels (CAXA)

Malcolm Crowe

This tip is regarding how to combine different assembly and part "levels" within the same Bill of Materials table within CAXA, and the associated "Item Numbers".

CAXA only allows the user to select a single "level" (grade) for each source BOM file. However, CAXA allows users to import multiple BOM source files, where each source BOM file can then be set to display a different level. The end result is that you can achieve a single BOM table that displays items from different "levels" within the 3D scene.

It isn't possible to import into CAXA the same named source file more than once, so it's necessary to create multiple versions of the same 3D scene with different names. This can be easily done by creating a new scene, and inserting the original scene into it (as an externally linked file) and saving it with a meaningful name (such as ....... BOM Level 2, ..........BOM Level 3, etc). Any changes made to the original file are reflected in the other BOM Level source files.

While the BOM Table can display these combined levels, the "Item Numbers" for each generated view cannot. So each generated view needs to display items at a single level. To do this, each view needs to be generated from the correct 3D scene source file. For example, if a generate view is to display "Item Numbers" for "Level 3", then the view needs to be generated from the ...... BOM Level 3 source file.

Hopefully the above makes sense in the context of the attached video.

Malcolm

CAXA BOM - Combining Assembly and Part Levels.PNG

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Malcolm.

We must have ESP. I was just writing an email to you regards BOMS at different levels so this is great! :)

I'll study this and see if I can dream up some other questions.

Cheers - Harley -

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply Malcolm.

I ended up doing a very similar thing and used with 2D icd drawing.

I saved the level 2 assembly to a separate linked out file then i could use the Top Level list option in the BOM.

Not ideal saving out extra files just do for a BOM.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Malcolm,

Do you know why Your Import 3D BOM tool has Default Configuration instead All Parts configuration in the video 3:47?

Yours :

image.png.2e72ef7402568fa9aba406da5bc859fd.png

I have to change it everytime for suppressing suppressed parts in BOM. Did you change some option? ^_^

Mine :

image.png.9b6bfd8c2c91e6bf68cbe4c72f56231e.png

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

2 hours ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi Kim,

The setting you're after is shown in the attached image. That is, Options/3D Interface/BOM and Others/Default Configuration.

Malcolm

CAXA - Options - 3D Interface - BOM and Others - Default Configuration.PNG

That's amazing! Thanks! :o

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Combining Assembly and Part Levels (CAXA)