Intellishape Bevel - Doesn't Chamfer Side Corners

Malcolm Crowe

Attached is an image and video of a simple rectangular Intellishape, in which the "Shell" and "Bevel" features have been applied to create a rectangular hollow section.

When a "Blend" is used as an End Bevel, the blend is applied along the straight edges and around the corners (which is the desired result). However, if a "Chamfer" is is used an an End Bevel, then the chamfer is applied to the straight edges only (ignoring the corners).

Why aren't the side corners chamfered also?

Malcolm

Intellishape Bevel - Doesn't Chamfer Side Corners.PNG

Intellishape Bevel - Doesn't Chamfer Side Corners.ics

Because the "start section edges" are set to Chamfer, and the "side section edges" are set to Bevel ?

Whilst the "Extrude intellishape" box is open you can set one, two or all of the "Which edges" options and then apply them all in one go, or one at a time if you want.

To me it looks like correct behaviour ?

What I've noticed is the I don't get the "Replace formulas" confirmation box with "Apply".

Personally I find it easier to select Blend and/or Chamfer from the ribbon (or menu) bar and select the vertices I need, but then that's me, just a different way of skinning the same cat.  The blends/chamfers then appear in the scene tree for the part and can be edited at will.

Edited by Mike Hatch
textual

It is interesting case that the blend on the end worked or it is special cased. The IntelliShape settings don't have a concept of order I don't believe. So it may not know which to apply first (Side or end). For the Blend, it may have special cased it to work for blends on the side and ends. It may be able to be enhanced with a rule that the side always goes first in the order.  

We can file it as an ER.

Cary

Thanks for the replies. I've always applied Blends and Chamfers features afterwards (or included them in the profile sketch), but I've been testing other available methods within the Intellishape Properties, in case there are benefits to applying them there instead. This observed behavior rules out using these particular tools for what I was testing, but I can still achieve what I want using the other tools. I think the ER is still a good idea though.

Malcolm

If I set the part to ACIS it works. With Parasolid i get the same results as you.

My guess is that in Parasolid mode the chamfer does not use the "smooth connected"-option (tangent propagation)

bild.thumb.png.70a9435573ec5cbfb3394a22b9036c3d.png

Edited by GNÄSLUND

The switch to using the ACIS kernel has enabled me to use the "Bevel" option within the Intellishape Properties. Which is great (thanks GNSLUND)!

Switching to the ACIS kernel opens up more options using the "Chamfer" tool as well. In the attached video I demonstrate the improvement after switching from PARASOLID to ACIS. However, there are still problems if the chamfer distances aren't even (that is, if it isn't a 45 deg angle).

So Kevin, please add these problems to the above bug.

Malcolm