How to Prevent SmartDimensions from Flipping Direction?

Malcolm Crowe

Here is a question for anyone who has got around this problem.

How do you prevent SmartDimensions (Constraints) from Flipping Directions after dimensional changes?

Attached is a video demonstrating a part with holes positioned 50mm from the ends of the part. If the part grows in length then the hole remains 50mm from the end of the part. However, if the part length reduces by more than the 50mm SmartDimension, then the SmartDimension (Constraint) flips direction, positioning the hole 50mm outside the end of the part.

I know that I could dimension from the other end and add an expression in the parameters, but I thought I'd ask if there was a simpler way.

Malcolm

I think there is (or has been) a known issue with the direction of locked SmartDimensions that flip in the way you describe, which I'm sure Cary can answer better on. He might have some other workarounds too, maybe similar to what Gustav told us here.

Thanks all. That certainly works and is demonstrated in the attached video.

For those interested, also shown in the attached video is the difference between selecting the face of a hole and the edge of a hole. When the face of the hole is selected first the SmartDimension won't be perpendicular to the other face selected. However, when the edge of the hole is selected first then it will be perpendicular to the other face selected.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe