How to create a bend on curve for sheet metal?

Bart

I agree with Mike. You'll need to use the Form tool and from what I can see of just the one view of your part so far, you may also need to use Cut Sheetmetal. 

I'm fairly sure you can't even get an accurate unfold from that either.

That part looks like it would have been handy in the dark ages for a torture rack - lots of spikey stuff there :rolleyes:

Cheers - Harley

• 4 weeks later...

When working in the Sheet Metal tools anything that has a bend in two directions at once (broadly speaking) will be hard to do, and likely not work when unfolding. This is because it's not a "Developable Surface" which means the material would have to compress or stretch to make the shape. 

Try folding a piece of paper down the middle, then try bending it up in the other direction, it can't be done without ripping the paper (unless you have some very flexible paper I don't know about). That's kind of a definition of what's developable and what's not.

You can make this type of shape with the press tool (video here) but you won't get much unfold information.

In the real world of course these types of shapes are possible because you can stretch the metal, but it's quite hard (I imagine), to correctly predict the unfold dimensions when material is stretched and compressed in different ways.

Hopefully at somepoint in the future, we will have the option to unfold things which are not developable surfaces and the system will give a "best guess" at the unfold shape. Or even just disregard the stretching/compressing if it is within a certain tolerance (i.e. if your material stretches 0.1mm on a 1000mm part, it may not bother you and you would rather get an unfold than nothing).

Bart, Just out of curiosity. Is this for a wood truss application? Shapes such as this one (but much simpler) are commonly used in framing of wood structures.

-Spencer

Edited by SSIMMONS