Web Viewer Tool - Very Useful

Malcolm Crowe

This is a thank you to the IRONCAD Team for the Cloud Web Viewer Tool that was introduced in IRONCAD 2019. We have been using this tool a lot with clients that use other CAD software (such as AUTOCAD and MICROSTATION). It is a quick and easy way for clients to review designs without needing to import anything. Just clicking on a link in an email. Very useful!

Malcolm

3D Model Web Viewer - Scene Browser - 20200123.PNG

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Thanks 1

Hi Malcolm, thanks for posting about this. I had completely missed the benefit of that feature and used it for the first time yesterday for a project. The client was 'so impressed' I could offer that to him, and coupled with the speed I can put projects together in IronCad, this is a winner to keep the order book over-flowing. :P

• 5 months later...

I too think this can be useful. Navigation seems to be difficult. Any tips or keystroke hints for navigating the scene?

Edited by RobH2

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Web Viewer Tool - Very Useful

Since some users aren't familiar with this tool (and how useful it is), I thought I'd promote it again. Attached is an example of a typical demonstration video that I send clients (and others involved on the project), regarding how to use the Web Viewer after clicking on the link that I send them (via email).

Malcolm

Web Viewer - First Dialog Box.png

Web Viewer - Second Dialog Box.png

• Like 1

Hi Malcolm
In your opinion, which would you recommend using, IronCAD Structured Mode or Innovate Mode, for use where you specialize in designing factory steel structures?
I think Innovate Mode would be better as it has tools like Brace, Beam, Trimming, Stiffener etc, but could you advise what you think.
I am currently using Innovate Mode about 99% of the time for my designs.

My customer is specializing in designing factories with steel structure and I am wondering if it is better to sell IronCAD or suggest Brics CAD.
They are also still doing nesting manually.
I am currently working on this in secret without the knowledge of Inventor or SolidWorks sellers.

Thanks.

Edited by tgjang
  • Like 1

Hi tgjang,

In the particular example above (and in the attached video) all of the Structural Steel components were modelled using Innovative Mode. However, the referenced Concrete Foundation and Tilt Slab Walls were modelled using Structured Mode. We always use Structured Mode for creating our layouts for referencing, as there will be a number of 2D Sketches (including the Architects Grid) that we need to be fully associated. And in this instance, the Concrete Foundation and Walls are separate "Bodies" within this Reference Layout.

Our projects are seldom created using 100% Innovative Mode or Structured Mode, as both modes have their advantages (depending on the application). For example, for Structural Engineers involved during the design stage, using Structured Frames (rather than Innovative Parts) is actually more advantageous for them. During stress analysis calculations they work with Wireframe Models, to which they apply "Shape Profiles". The process is very similar to the process of creating Structured Frames, so it's a concept that is familiar to them. When the "Design Stage" is complete their basic "Structured Frame" can be added to by others (which will include Innovative Parts).

So, whenever you're presenting IRONCAD as an alternative to SOLIDWORKS, INVENTOR etc..., I always recommend focusing primarily on IRONCAD's versatility (rather than ease of use, or Innovative Mode, or the TriBall, Catalogs, etc...), where IRONCAD users have the freedom to choose the modelling mode best suited for the application. The shapes required for Structural Engineering applications are very basic, so there is no benefit in having dual kernels for these. However, if you're doing Factory Layouts where you need to insert models from other sources (including facetted models which are common in architectural applications), then in my own personal experience the dual kernels have been beneficial.

BRICSCAD BIM is truly versatile software as well, but in different areas to IRONCAD (although they do overlap). BRICSCAD BIM is specifically tailored for AEC (Architectural, Engineering and Construction) applications, and includes amazing Point Cloud and Civil Engineering tools as well (along with 3D modelling and 2D drafting capabilities that would surprise many IRONCAD users). If your client needs to create BIM models or collaborate with BIM models from others (whether IFC or REVIT), then BRICSCAD BIM is the way to go.

Note that, BRICSCAD BIM can import 3D models created by other software (including IRONCAD) and automatically add the BIM data needed to turn it into a BIM model. That is something that we've done. So, your client could potentially use IRONCAD and BRICSCAD BIM side-by-side as we do (rather than either or).

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much. Malcolm
Very good video and explanation, I've been selling Ironcad and wasn't sure exactly what the benefits of Ironcad were to the consumer, so this is really helpful.
I've been working in application development for various 3D & 2D CAD systems(Pro/E, CATIA, UG, CADDS5, SolidWorks, SpaceClaim, CADAM, CADRA,  AutoCAD Etc) so I really appreciate the recommendation from your actual experience with various projects. ^^

• Like 1