Build a RenderFarm/RenderBox

I am looking to possibly build a renderbox dedicated purely for improving the speed of renders from IronCAD.

Not being an IT guy, can anyone provide what parameters IronCAD uses in rendering that I would need to build such a RenderFarm?

Is CPU's, harddrives, RAM, Graphics, ?? An how would I "connect" the renderbos to my main IronCAD computer?

tom

any feedback is welcomed

First of all, I think, fast and powerful CPU with 4 cores is needed, because the renderer in IC is now using multi-thread.

The amount of RAM is never be very much. You can use as much as you can get.

The graphic card in this case not very useful. Until, the renderer can't use GPU.

And finally, you can use the TeamViewer to rule by the RenderFarm.

PS: Tom, what kind of images are you doing? Can you show some samples? Very interesting to see.

Edited by ysinitsyn

My hunch, in order of importance:

1: cpu clock rate

2: memory speed

3: amount of RAM

4: number of cpu cores

Number 4 perhaps should be higher on the list.

Number 2 is VERY important in my experience.

Thanks All,

I will forward to IT guy for review.

Yaroslav, I cannot show images of most of my work due to proprietary reasons. All I can say is for thsi client, I am building virtual cities so I can customized their stores interior design, then they need high end renders and animations.

HE Renders are hard becuase my system takes days to do and then I may need to redo several times to get what I'm looking for. So it could take weeks to get one good render. They typically need about 5 in a week. see my delima?

HE Animations are difficult because I need to get a good quality out of IC and then post process through a third party software. this is proving need impossible at the moment.

Thanks All,

I will forward to IT guy for review.

Yaroslav, I cannot show images of most of my work due to proprietary reasons. All I can say is for thsi client, I am building virtual cities  so I can customized their stores interior design, then they need high end renders and animations.

HE Renders are hard becuase my system takes days to do and then I may need to redo several times to get what I'm looking for. So it could take weeks to get one good render. They typically need about 5 in a week. see my delima?

HE Animations are difficult because I need to get a good quality out of IC and then post process through a third party software. this is proving need impossible at the moment.

32766[/snapback]

Hey Tom,

You could read this blog to get more information about hardware in a renderfarm. This is a swedish dude that have build his own render farm in a shelf from IKEA:

http://helmer.sfe.se/

For now only solution for faster render is distributed rendering. So if you have few computers in the network each can render specific bucket. It will be good to have option to save/reuse Irradiance solution.