New SpaceNavigator and graphics issues

snelson

I picked up a SpaceNavigator and am just using it for the first time today. I'm using OpenGL, Advanced for rendering settings. (Edit: same issues are found in DirectX, Advanced)

I'm finding that parts I drag out of a catalog into the scene show up as an outline until they're placed then they simply don't show at all until I use Recreate Display or for some reason zoom in and out with the middle mouse button. Even changing the color of the scene's background won't always take effect until I hit Recreate display.

It's not for every part but this is really annoying and not worth the hassle. As in, I have no use for this thing if I can't resolve this.

Has anyone else run into this with this or other 3Dconnexion products? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Steve

Edited by snelson

I'm sure I'll find more but it's also not showing feature changes, after changing the cross section of an extruded feature, until I use Recreate Display.

Depending on my zoom 'level' Recreate Display can do 1 of 3 things; make the part show up; hide everything in the scene or show the part that was hidden but then hide everything else in the scene.

Thanks for filing this Cary,

Steve

Steve,

I'm using Space Pilot and noticed some similar problems like the complete assembly disappearing and it doesn't seem to come back until I close and reopen. Really frustrating... I didn't think this might be a controller issue until now.

I don't drag parts out from the catalogs (very often) and instead keep my parts in folders listed by part number and insert them from there when needed. Also don't seem to be re-using my parts very often, so I can't tell you I have the same problem with catalog parts unless maybe I test it out some more.

Another thing that leads me to believe there's a problem with the controller... When I open a large assembly and move the assembly around before it's completely loaded IronCAD will glaze over and stop loading the assembly or lock up and force me to close.

I had an issue getting the controller to load when I was using Parallels (not using anymore). At that time 3Dconnexion said there would be a new driver after Windows 7 was released. Hopefully that will fix all of this. blink.gif

- Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the input. Since we build stuff like legos out of existing catalogs and only create new parts rarely, sounds like I might be bringing this home today until I can test a new driver someday.

Ha, I just tried rotating with it while a big file was opening and loading. Instant Runtime error and complete IC shutdown. Granted I've avoided this for a full day but I could see having my hand on it while opening files and having this happen a lot more.

Too bad, I really hoped I could get enough use out of this to help with wrist pain in my other hand.

Steve

• 6 months later...

Nope, but I haven't tried it on XG. Brought it home to use as a fancy paperweight but can try it tomorrow or early next week. It might not be a good test though since the rest of my XG install isn't that great and I have enough display issues without it.

I'll let you know.

Steve

Was there ever any resolution to this issue?  One of my co-workers appears to be having this same problem.  Is there a particular 3dx driver that will resolve this, or is the current resolution to ditch the space(thingy) for a while?

28815[/snapback]

Mike,

I still have the disappearing problem and there was one update for me since the last time I was here. I have not been able to record this problem although it happens on a regular basis.

I think the last update helped to make moving large assemblies easier but it didn't fix this problem as I first thought it had. I rely on having the controller so I put up with the problem and keep trying to record it. Seems like when I try to record this it won't happen for me.

I also just noticed what appears to be an optional update for the controller listed in the Windows 7 updater, but there doesn't appear to be an update when I run the 3DxWare updater. So maybe Microsoft has an update for it. I will investigate and let you know if anything has been resolved.

Doug

The only issue I can consistently repeat is the disappearing or not updating geometry when doing operations during a rotation. If you do not drop or modify (normally a drag modification like handle pull) during a spaceball rotation, I don't see the issues occur.

Cary

I have been using my SpacePilot on my desktop machine, and the older Travel spaceball on my laptop forever, and I have not had any issues as what I am reading about. I use Win7 Pro on my 64bit desktop, and XP on my 32bit laptop. I'll try and dig up what drivers I am using in case that helps. I could never go back to not using a spacemouse, so I feel bad for anyone having an issue.

This is a little unrelated, but Ironcad will lock up and crash if I try to move the model with either the mouse, or spaceball during the load of a file. I have to be very careful when loading a large file that I do not move the spaceball puck to much or it will crash.

Mike

The Microsoft update doesn't seem to have helped with regards to the parts/assemblies disappearing. However, I cannot get IronCAD to lock up and crash anymore if I try to move the model with either the mouse, or the controller for SpacePilot when loading large files. I also had this problem and I think it was fixed with the last 3Dconnesion update (before the current release 3.10.1).