NPT THREADS

Guest scollison

Guest scollison

Does anyone know the best way to model internal NPT threads. The model is going to be used for manufacturing purposes so I will need it to be accurate, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

unsure.gif

Guest EricFoy

Correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen, but I don't think the v11 Thread Feature is able to produce tapered threads.

The quickest way to do this is to drop in a custom fastener, then manually modify the shapes to get your taper, and manually edit the callouts on the print.

I have also modeled up a family of NPT "Taps and Dies", and put them into a catalog. These are modelled using the helix tool (tapered helix). I would like to make them available for a nominal fee, but there's an obstacle: The catalog is buried deep within the bowels of a retired machine, and is still under development. It will take me some time to unearth it and double check its functionality.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as to my progress on this.

You can get pretty good thread specification data at this link (a Perideo sponsored website):

http://pipeandhose.com

I got the thread feature in both V11 and 2009 to do threads on a tapered hole yesterday. You just need to make sure the little triangle you create is the correct size. My threads cam out too deep at first but I went back and edited the triangle and the pitch and the threads looked great. I even did a cutaway and they looked great.

It has taken me a while, and couple times watching that little video, but I am getting the hang of the thread feature.

I will not be using it for every threaded hole or rod but will probely use it where the thread is exposed in a closeup view for assembly instructions.

Dallas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EricFoy

So, Dallas:

Are you saying that if you lay a thread feature onto an already tapered conical surface (NPT is tapered 1 in 16 on the diameter), that the thread follows the surface?!? If so, then THAT's COOL!

Eric

See attached

you need the have the Bore side if the thread profile not on X0 or you will get bad thread form.

in the scene open the shape and right click on the thread and edit the thread profile this is where I changed it when My start profile failed to give goo thread.

You can edit everything, the hole shape, the pitch, the thread profile, till you get exactly evertyhing the way you want it.

Dallas

Edited by dhovatter

Guest EricFoy

Wow. Awesome.

This is very powerful functionality. With just a couple of tweaks by the IronDudes (to remove the "required expertise" aspect) it will be seriously Kool.

Guest jkim522093

This must be good for custom NPT.

But the best thing for this is to have the catalog for NPT like fastners in Tools catalog.

Then it would be very easy and fast to apply the wanted common NPT to the design by drag and drop from the catalog.

JH

Another problem with the thread is you can not save it to a catalog and then drop it onto an new part.

This would especial be useful for those tapered threads. I was able to drag the threads to the catalog but was unable to place them on the part where they needed to be. The tri-ball is grayed out for the threads and was not active.

Some refinements would be nice as thread creation is time consuming to get them to look exactly the way you want.

Dallas

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm developing an NPT thread feature through Design Variations. I have attached the catalog for anyone who wants to help.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) Is there a way to reorder the DV tabs?

2.) I would like to create another option with a thru part hole. Is there a way to assign this behaviour with parameters?

Cheers

Tom

BTW - got the stats for NPT off this slide rule card I have laying around, ooof, I'm old biggrin.gif

NPT.icc

It hangs up due to an old version of Flash. We will need to recompile these videos to correct it. After the 2009 release, we will work on it.

Cary

26873[/snapback]

It is "after the release". I sure would like to learn how to use this potentially useful tool correctly. I guess I'm just stewpid, but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I think I have to place the cross section somewhere other than on the cylinder surface, but where and how does it figure out the diameter and helix direction. It took me over a day of "dicking around" to generate a thread I got in Solidworks in less than 5 minutes. There were so many iterations, that I don't know exactly what finally worked. Some help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stewpid Fred