WALK THROUGHS

djohannesen

We do a lot of site plans & wish to do very basic animations to show clients how their plant would look as they walk around.

I can use the Animation catalog tools no problem, but when I want to use the camera animation I have trouble.

Can anyone advise of a simple way to perform walk throughs?

Regards,

David J

Here's a very quick overview

1) Create a new camera (show cameras so that you can see it)

2) Position the camera at your starting point by moving it with the triball. Look through it occasionally to insure that it is viewing what you want it to. This will be your "walkthrough" camera

3) Jump back to your scene camera and adjust that one so that you can see your walkthrough camera.

4) Drop a custom animation path on the walkthrough camera and then extend the path to whatever you want. Use the triball to orient the camera at each keyframe.

5) Once finished; look through the walkthrough camera and then export the animation to an AVI.

Is there a difference between positioning the walkthrough camera with the TriBall and just looking through it and orienting it using pan, orbit, dolly, etc? Also, is there a way to look through the walkthrough camera at each keyframe?

Guest IronKevin

There is technically no difference, the TriBall just gives you more precise position control. The various Zoom command however are different since they can change the Camera's Field of View angle and the TriBall cannot.

You can't look through the Camera at a specific keyframe but you can use the slider on the SmartMotion toolbar to "slide" through the animation and stop at any point (hit the "On" button before sliding). Also while the "On" button is pressed you can open the SmartMotion Editor and slide the vertical bar to any frame in the animation.

IronKevin

I'm trying to animate a camera revolving around a central object (counter-clockwise), always pointing at the object. When I get half-way around the circle, the camera does a clockwise spin. Is there any way to keep the camera focused on a point? Or at least, is there any way to insure that the camera turns the shortest distance between keyframes?

Camera-circle.ics

Guest IronKevin

I have seen this happen when rotating the camera beyond 180 degrees. What happens is IronCAD interprets the rotation as a negative angle.

To fix it, go into the SmartMotion Editor

Expand the animation bars to display the Custom Path

Right click Custom Path, go to Properties

Click the Path Tab

Select the key the needs adjusting with the "Current Key" toggle

Click Key Setup

The rotation angle value will be under one of the following Key Parameters: Tilt, Roll or Pan (probably Pan in this case). You will need to find which one has a negative value and change it to positive.

Basically each rotated key will have an angle set in these Key Parameters and you need to make sure the from key to key the angle value make sense to form an smooth rotation.

IronKevin