Thank God For Hdri

What can you say. WOW.

I have question for you guys that do all this rendering.

Do you have multiple computers so that you can be designing on one while the other does the rendering? I do not do any rendering partly because I have not the need but the other big one is because I would never get any work done if my computer sat rendering and I made changes in setting and my computer sat rendering again.

Dallas

Dallas,

With the advent of v10 you can now render and work simultaenously and ther new render engine is multi-threaded. So I haven;t really had a hug problem rendering even before v10. Grantly I render realtively small items and not very complex scenes. SO it works well for me.

Below is an image of my system stats if it helps any.

Cheers

Tom

system.JPG

Guest EricFoy

One of the big things I learned (the hard way) when I bought my current box is that a dual core AMD 4200+ doesn't really run twice as fast as a single core 2100+. Not even close, in most cases. This is because, really, only one CPU can run your application at a time. In fact, I have an old Athlon64 3300+ system that runs circles around both my Athlon64x2 4200+ and an Athlon64 3400+ of the same vintage. These are my own benchmark results using the IronCAD 9.0 rendering engine.

But now here's the fun part! With IronCAD 10's new multi-threaded renderer, I can launch a render session, then immediately go about my work, editing the file that I'm rendering, or even closing that file and working on another. And amazingly, I hardly see any degradation in system performance. IronCAD just keeps right on humming, while the renderer chugs along in the background. Very kool.

And by the way, I must add that I have not experienced any instabilities with IC10. Frankly, I don't know what these other guys are talking about. Somebody actually had employees quit because IC wasn't acting right...? Haven't seen anything like that here.

system_config.JPG

Edited by EricFoy

Also to add to Erics comments, If you lock the pushpin in the upper left of render window, this will allow you to start another render session. You can generated unlimited renderings simultaneously (depending on your system of course) and still continue to work on your design.

Tom

multirender.JPG

Also to add to Erics comments, If you lock the pushpin in the upper left of render window, this will allow you to start another render session. You can generated unlimited renderings simultaneously (depending on your system of course) and still continue to work on your design.

Tom

20758[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't know about the push-pin! I often do a quick render of a view to use as reference while working on a scene. Using the push-pin I can have multiple reference views without having to save them and display in another viewer program. I have done some rendering of transparent models using the Hdri, soft ray-tracing, shaders and other new stuff, and it is an impressive set of tools. And yes, for the first time I am really glad to have a dual-processor machine (but I wish I had Eric's).

Edited by swallis

snip...

And by the way, I must add that I have not experienced any instabilities with IC10.  Frankly, I don't know what these other guys are talking about.  Somebody actually had employees quit because IC wasn't acting right...?  Haven't seen anything like that here.

20757[/snapback]

If that's true, maybe your system specs should be used by the IronDudes to help identify the causes of some of the problems (maybe they have). I assumed that everyone would be experiencing at least some of the troubles. Alas, that is one of the drawbacks of a forum like this where to a large degree you only hear about the problems. As I have said before, I upgraded from V6 and love the all the improvements in V10, and look forward to the upcoming fixes that will put it over the top for me.

Scott

THat is some great info guys. I did not know about the push pin nor the fact you could continue work, even on the same file, while the rendering was working.

I tried it and put the rendering on my other monitor and it rendered away while I kept working on my main monitor.

I may start doing more rendering now that I know these things.

What was cool is that the rendered files stayed on even after I closed files that were rendered.

Thanks again.

Dallas

I do not have as strong a system as you guys do, I do not think.

But it works OK. I need much more memory but have not added any yet.

As far as problems with V10. Most of the glitches have been fixed by HF1 but I still have that problem with my geometry shifting when I edit. Cary said in his reply to that problem that it was marked "Fixed" so I assume it will be in HF2.

I am big on IronCad since I have been using it since it was "Trispectives 3D" and only cost $250.00. Some things have changed but mainly the price. There are many small changes that need to be addressed that have been around for many versions. Small things that are more of an irritation then glitch. But I do not see myself changing in future unless the new owners of the company make that change. I am trying to sell them on Iron cad but in our German plant they use AD Inventor.

Happy Rendering guys

Dallas

Edited by dhovatter