Artifical Turf?

I am trying to figure out which shader along with the settings that would give mne the best artifical turf "texture".

I am lloking to replicate the grass in Yankee Stadium as shown in picture below

yankee_stadium_picture.jpg

The image below shows my attempt using a Cellnoise which brings up a point. The "sclae" of the noise is differnt on each surface even though applied at part level. Is there a way to make it uniform?

grass_shader.jpg

thanks

Tom

Guest John Wright

Tom

2 solutions

1. Create a 3D curve about 50mm long, sweep a section along it. Lean it over about 30 degrees to the vertical, then repeat with the triball a few million times smile.gif

2. Use th Image setting in the shader - and apply an image to the surface - I have seen lots of turf images on the web.

The latter may be quicker! - however at the moment the shader doesn't save the image path nor will it add it to a new smartpaint catalog entry. Using the image is very much like life used to be! just nicer.

John

The material appearance is the combination of the shader settings and the coordinate mapping. The coordinate mapping will change the scaling and orientation. UV based coords will seem to have a different scale and orientation for every face. XYZ based coords will not. The local coordinates are probably what you want-- as opposed to natural UV or cylindrical, spherical, etc...

You can control the coordinate mapping at the bottom of the shader dialog.

The material appearance is the combination of the shader settings and the coordinate mapping.  The coordinate mapping will change the scaling and orientation.  UV based coords will seem to have a different scale and orientation for every face.  XYZ based coords will not.  The local coordinates are probably what you want-- as opposed to natural UV or cylindrical, spherical, etc...

You can control the coordinate mapping at the bottom of the shader dialog.

19821[/snapback]

Thanks Bryan

I'll look into it.

Tom

• 2 months later...
Guest EricFoy

Tom:

Are you still looking for some grass? Let me know, and I'll package up the image and bump maps that I used here. I think it looks amazingly stadium-like; quite by accident, too. cool.gif

post-176-1203812795_thumb.jpg

post-176-1203812818_thumb.jpg

post-176-1203812844_thumb.jpg

Guest EricFoy

Okay, Here are some grass images I got from a free source on the web (can't remember where right now). The one I have called grass5 came with a bump map, grass2 did not. To be honest, I haven't really psyched out the effectiveness of the bump map, but there it is. Let me know if you run across any outstanding effect with it.

The shots I posted above were done using grass2, which I like a lot better than grass5. I don't think grass5 will give you that nice stadium effect, which is really just a result of grass2's non-uniform tonality. Works kinda nice, I think.

These are some renderings with each grass file, both using the same bump map.

grass.zip

post-176-1203978244_thumb.jpg

post-176-1203978258_thumb.jpg