Vista Is Here... Are We Ready?

sbuchanan

Currently IronCAD will not install or run on Vista. We are looking into the feasibility to have a version that will run on Vista. As for the 64 Bit, I don't think you get it for free by just running on Vista. I think the application has to be built for 64 bit support which we are looking to have for v10. We will keep the community updated if we can deliver a Vista patch based on our investigations.

Thanks,

Cary

Currently IronCAD will not install or run on Vista. We are looking into the feasibility to have a version that will run on Vista. As for the 64 Bit, I don't think you get it for free by just running on Vista. I think the application has to be built for 64 bit support which we are looking to have for v10. We will keep the community updated if we can deliver a Vista patch based on our investigations.

Thanks,

Cary

16855[/snapback]

Any idea when it will be a priority? I first asked about this over a year ago.

Solidworks

Vectorworks

I am not as interested in the 64bit as I am in the memory capabilities.

Yes, I am using that right now, but I do not use my machine for IronCAD alone. I am satisfied with the performance I am getting now, I am currently running AMD64 x2 4800, SLY 7600'sa and 4gb of dar400 RAM. in our workstations. We use them for graphic design and IronCAD. I have just been putting off building our new "Vista ready" workstations until I get the OK from Cary and the team at IC. Microsoft has been working out the permissions and drivers for Vista via beta releases for well over a year and that is the only reason I have have posted here multiple times about a "Vista" timeline. Adobe CS3 will be released very soon and it is built to take advantage of multiple cores and 64 bit processing. I know that IronCAD does not have to engineering staff or budget (like Adobe) to reinvent the wheel, but I have received the same reply for over a year "We are looking into it"

Don't get me wrong, I love IronCAD. I have been one of the biggest IronCAD cheerleaders in our "very large" company user network. I just get scared of every version release. We have experienced new, even worse issues that are unrelated the the original fixes in the last release and PU1. These issues are things that slow down our company and can cause mistakes which cost money. No, I am not talking about a hotkey issue smile.gif . In the end I guess I just want it all, but obviously that is not an option. But having things work the way they are designed to, without having to pay for another release to fix them sounds logical.

Steve

Heres more:

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/200..._runs_cad_.html

Vista wants 3D software to use Direct X instead of Open GL.

Open GL is a long time industy standard for 3D accelaration, but Microsoft wanted to create their own system, so now there are 2 competing technologies, making developers use both in many cases.

3DCAD system CAN use Open GL in Vista but it have some drawbacks.

Steve,

I'm still unclear on your push to vista. Vista alone is not giving you any advantage. 64 Bit is unrelated to vista. 64 bit is supported on XP and Vista. We will have 64 bit support for v10 late Q2/early Q3. if you want 64 on vista you have to buy 64 bit vista. They have both 32 and 64 vista versions. The comments on the post about vista slow is related to Direct X and OpenGL. Vista is pushing Direct X and not opengl. That's why it is slow and many people commented on this way before the release. Anyway. V10 of ironcad will have a new rendering engine that will support direct x and opengl so we should run fast on both. So just having vista at this point may be a bad option for gl usage (software should be the same performance).

Cary

"There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about using Vista as a platform for CAD, not the least of which is that it has demanding minimum hardware requirements. Acceptable CAD performance under Vista is going to require new top-of-the-line hardware.

Yet, even with the right hardware, CAD performance under Vista is going to remain an open question for a while longer.

Microsoft pushed hard to get Vista shipped, but important components, such as display drivers and development tools, are still buggy and incomplete. It will likely be many months before these problems will be shaken out."

-Guest writer Evan Yares is the former executive director of the Open Design Alliance and, before that, a CAD industry analyst.

taken from here:

http://aecnews.com/news/2007/02/01/2242.aspx

Has anyone tried a windows emulator for linux? Here's one:

http://winehq.com/

Though it doesn't work for 64-bit hardware which I've installed ubuntu on =(

I would like to see if IronCAD could run on it.

My linux dedicated 32-bit hdd crashed just when I was about to install Ubuntu 6.10 on it.

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is IC9.1 ready for Vista? IC installation crashes once installed on a Vista. Error messages are similar to when you try to intall IC on a XP Home. Problem is, SONY has stop shiping VAIOS with XP Pro. Clients are asking why can't we since they can install SolidWorks on XP Home & Vista.

Here's more reason not to use Vista:

"Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want. These

features will make your computer less reliable and less secure. They'll

make your computer less stable and run slower. They will cause technical

support problems. They may even require you to upgrade some of your

peripheral hardware and existing software. And these features won't do

anything useful. In fact, they're working against you. They're digital

rights management (DRM) features built into Vista at the behest of the

entertainment industry - And you don't get to refuse them."

Full article can be read at

http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-...t-windows-vista

No wonder SONY stop shipping XP machines?

the question still stands. How soon before Ironcad will run on Vista? Not whether vista is good, bad, or indifferent. I run probably 50 or 60 applications at least and they are either working unaltered or they have fixed the issues.