Link, Some Questions.

Marcus Bertilsson

Hi,

Yes, I really hope for some modifications in the future concerning the linking problem!

I've been working with SolidEdge for 5 years or so... and SE contains the tool IC has been looking for!! The RevisionManager / Insight Connect!!

Besides controlling revisions you are also able to "repair" broken links (to external parts/assemblies), if you moved the external saved part/assembly to another server location or just want to replace it!

If your server have Sharepoint installed the RevisionManager is able to find the new location for the moved part/assy itself!

... a PRETTY nice tool!

In this example one file has not been found by opening the assembly through RevisionManager and a new file (selected by the user) is going to replace it (see Action-column):

post-22588-1164773841_thumb.jpg

Read about Insight Connect here:

Insight Connect

c_skytte

Edited by Christian Skytte

Yes I agree with Christian, this would be a very helpful tool. IronPRO has started on this path I believe and maybe will continue on it.

Its been awhile since I have used SE about version 14 I guess but it did have very strong revision control and management outside of insight that maybe IC can adopt.

While on the subject, consider this an ER I just recieved a huge assembly file from a client that contains about 100 external links. It would be GREAT if IC could tell me all the external links so I could find them in a txt file or similar. Right now I have to cancel every one independently to open this assy and write down as they pop up the missing links. Unless I am not aware of something that will help this process.

Thanks

Tom

It would be GREAT if IC could tell me all the external links so I could find them in a txt file or similar.

16400[/snapback]

Tom-

Here is a little VBA that will show you a list of linked file names. You can modify this as required to make it print you out a text file if you would like:

Sub showTheLinks()

Dim i, count, items As Integer

Dim daParts As Object

Dim daLink As Object

Dim linkFile(500) As String

Dim reply As Variant

count = 0

IronCAD.ActivePage.SelectAllItems

Set daParts = IronCAD.ActivePage.SelectedItems(triShape)

items = daParts.count

For i = 1 To items

If daParts.Item(i).ExternallyLinked Then

Set daLink = daParts.Item(i).ExternallyLinkedPage

'MsgBox daLink.FullName

count = count + 1

linkFile(i) = daLink.FullName

End If

Next

reply = MsgBox("There are " & count & " linked files in this scene. Would you like a list of them?", vbYesNo)

If reply = vbYes Then

For i = 1 To count

MsgBox "File " & i & ": " & linkFile(i)

Next

End If

Set daParts = Nothing

Set daLink = Nothing

End Sub

EDIT: It looks a lot cooler when I write the post. Aparently, some formatting adjustments may be required.

Edited by Mike Twining

The External Links Manager of IronPRO only works for already opened scene files, but there it is extremly good (Save link in a new position, Change linked part etc and I'm beta testing v.2007 where there will be some news as well!).

A lot of companys replaces their old file servers with new ones and here we have another approach for the use of an IronCAD Link Manager.

Say that you have mapped P:\ to a folder on a server where all your files for the project are. When you make a 2D Drawing IronCAD will then save the real path ie. \\SERV1\Files\File.ics for the linked 3D Scene, not P:\Files\File.ics.

If your company gets a new file server the mapping will still be the same, P:\Files\File.ics but the real path is now changed to \\SERV2\Files\File.ics which you'll notice when opening the drawing.

With a Link Manager we could change this link without having to open any drawing.

Another thing would be if IronCAD saved the mapped letter (ie P:\) instead of the physical address...

But this is something that IronCAD are looking into, from what I've heard. So I hope we will see it quite soon!

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna