Hardware discrepancies? (nuts/bolts/washers)

dsulli

Has anyone found any discrepancies in the hardware dimensions? Here's one:

The M12 (narrow) flatwashers in IC measure 1.6mm thick, whereas standard, real-life stainless steel washers measure 2.5mm thick. It may not seem like much, but for me it meant having to face a socket head cap screw head on the lathe so that it could sit below flush in a counterbore. If I find any others, I'll list them here, but this one caused me to investigate the fit problem.

I don't even assume the IC hardware models are accurate - I use them only where the dimensions are not critical (illustration).

For real life screws, I go to McMaster-Carr catalog webpage, and get a 3D model of the screw I'm using when I place the order. Their models are somewhat simplified, but all dimensions are correct.

Alex

Realistically, I don't see any reason why IronCad users should have to run around looking for accurate hardware. Why not just get the sizes correct and be done with it. We machine parts sometimes within a hair of a clamp/bolt or other fixturing device and we need to know that a tool spinning 20,000 rpm and travelling 300 ipm is not going to hit it.

I agree that Screws should be correct size

It is a pain at first but I pull in the common size screws I use and modify them to real world size and save them in a catalog and that works actually faster in long run because I just drag and drop. Also in that catalog I keep common "correct size" washers and dowel pins. I even have the CNC mill tables complete with "T" slots and also the Kurt vise and angle plates.

Dallas

Normally, I would simply measure the bolt/washer that I intended to use, since I have a wide variety of hardware in and on my desk. However, M12 screws/bolts are not used in any of our products (up until I specified them in a new product), so I relied on the models provided in the software. Of course, I could've looked up the correct dimensions in the Machinery handbook or metric hardware catalog, but I assumed the models to be accurate.

I agree that IC should have accurate hardware, but my point is - how do you KNOW it is accurate? Should I check model's dimensions when I make up a new piece of hardware from IC Tools? I always go to manufacturer/distributor for the model of what they actually make and what I will be using in my product - it just removes any doubts, I don't have to think about it.

Alex.

Guest EricFoy

Okay... I couldn't resist chiming in on this one.

There is simply no excuse for the dimensions of IronCAD's hardware having any deviation from the standards, which are well established, widely published, and broadly adhered to in industry. Can we not all agree on this?

That said, we all recognize the fact that double checking actuals is a good practice, and more imperative as the fit becomes more critical, but this is certainly not a valid reason for the developers of the Tools Catalog not to get it right in the first place. We should be checking to see whether the screws conform to the model - NOT whether the model has acurately depicted the screws!

In order for the Tools Catalog to be universally taken seriously by the engineering community, it MUST be brought into conformance with at least one standard, and the more standards, the better.

And why not? I know that IronCAD LLC certainly hopes the community takes the Sheetmetal Catalog seriously, as it is billed as a major component of functionality of IronCAD.

I think it is easy for us users to dismiss the fact that "Tools" is only marginally or only sometimes useful to us, because IronCAD is, after all, already doing so much for us. But given the fact that fixing this problem involves no coding, no algorithmic derivation, but only the research and tabulation of scalar values, which a first year intern could handily accomplish; and given the kind of credibility boost, advertising leverage, and industry respect that would result, I would humbly submit that the IronCREW would be foolish to leave it the way it is.

There... whew! I got it out.id='Arial'>id=size4>

-Eric

Eric,

That's where I was basically going with this. Why half-ass it when you could just do it correctly. And you're absolutely right in your assertion that if IC wants to be taken seriously then these tools and other add-ons should be useful in a serious way, meaning the conformance to a standard.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EricFoy

... and while we're on this topic...

How about the other Tools catalogs? I haven't used them extensively, and I can't speak with any real authority here, but have you guys found discrepancies in the Steel Stock or Bearing catalogs? I've tried to use the Bearings catalog a few times, and I've always had to manually model my own bearings because the catalog doesn't include the bearings I'm specifying, or it simply doesn't model them correctly. Sure would be nice to be able to plug in a bearing spec and have it pop the right one in...

Just a thought.

-Eric

About bearings, if you are working much with bearings you may want to take a look at the bearing supplier web page. Like http://www.skf.com/ for one.

There you can select exactly your model of bearing and download it as a SAT/ Parasolid or STEP AP203. No fee. There is also extra help with

calculations if you need that.

Here you know that everything is updated.

On the otherhand it is often not needed to have the full model of the bearing. Large number of bearings with balls takes resources to handle.

Robert Andersson

The tools catalog I have other problems with is Gear tool. Helical gears don't work.even with the default entries in the menu. The other thing is the way my gears end up looking is to have a hole pattern to bolt them on the end of my rotary dies. If I go back and add properties i.e. change the tooth size, the bolt pattern goes away. But I can live with that. I would like the helical gear to at least look like a gear.

Dallas

• 9 months later...

Ok, I'm giving in on this one. I going to make a screw catalogue and have been trying to figure the best way to go about it. The trick is to get the screws you want and still get the 2D representation. The problem then is that you can never go back to the "Fastener" tool once you drop the screw into a scene. So be it, I guess.

Now that I've come to grips with the time I need to invest in this, I would like to know from the Ironcrew whether this will be worth the effort. I would hate to spend the time and energy only to find that the "Fastener" tool has been/is being improved to have workable functionality.

What say?

Also, is there any chance that the source could be made available so that the community could put this together?

This site has a link to an additional catalog of fastener parts.

http://www.iccentral.com/

Go through these menu steps

Models> Manufacturing> 80/20, Inc.

That will get you to the following categories

Extrusions

15 Series Joining Plates

Fasteners

Or follow these steps to get to a catalog of socket cap screws

Models> Manufacturing> General Manufacturing

SHCS Catalog of socket head cap screws

The question still remains, are the models correct?... I beleive these catalogs were created by companies that supply or use these parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see a major discussion of a problem I beefed about (along with others) at least a year (probably two) ago. There has never been a reply from the developers. I've always assumed that the code was written for this tool in such a way that it calculates the head dimensions based on the nominal screw diameter. To me that would explain the odd values for head diameter it generates. And also why it's not such an easy task to fix it. I'm guessing it was not written to use a look-up table, but rather using a parametric approach (an equation to generate each dimension). Just a hunch.

Regards,

Peter Domenicali

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. We wanted to investigate the issue before we posted a response. We have found the issue that you are reporting with the Fastener Tools and have a team of R&D engineers in the process of correcting the issue. When we have a solution, I will post a response to let you know where to download the resolution. We are sorry for any inconvenience and we are working hard to address the issue shortly.

Thanks,

Cary