Shortcuts in IronCAD

sjspeece

I would like to add a shortcut to a file within IronCAD. We have an excel file that contains a list of parts in our CAD library. It would be nice to have a link to that file within IronCAD. I was able to do this by right clicking in a catalog and selecting object. Then I made a link to the file. This worked originally, but as soon as I saved the catalog, the link no longer worked.

I also tried creating a custom button and linking it to a file, but had no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

I didn't have much luck with that either. I was able to create the link in a scene. Double clicking on the icon in the scene will launch the excel file. Then I dropped the icon in a catalog. Double clicking on the icon in the catalog opens up the catalog.icc file as a scene with the picture of the excel file. Dragging and dropping the icon from the file into the scene places a picture of the file into the scene.

Steve

hmm, from your description is sounds like it worked the way I thought you wanted it to. The result was to have an image of the excel file displayed in the scene with that file being linked to an external excel file; sort of like a bill of materials. It sounds like however you do not want to actually see the contents of the file in the scene, just have something to click on that will open the file? I will see what I can figure out.

Are you trying to put it in a catalog available on the network so that others can have access to the file in a standard place? Otherwise I'd put the shortcut in your Windows Start Menu so that it shows up when you click Start. That would just be one extra click.

Yes, I'm trying to put it in a catalog so it can be shared among multiple users. We have custom catalogs stored on a network drive that everyone shares. If I could put the shortcut to the Excel file in one of these catalogs it would be available to all our users.

Putting the shortcut in a catalog makes sense because the users will only need this file when using IronCAD. Putting it in a common catalog reminds the user that the file is available.