Linked Assemblies in a Project layout

Sharath

Hi everyone, we're having trouble with three people working on the same project simultaneously. For instance, in our situation, all three of us are working on different parts of the project, and there's one main project layout. Currently, if anyone opens the layout, the individual files become inaccessible to others, which is not ideal. I believe other software allows multiple people to work on one project concurrently. Is this type of collaboration possible in IronCAD, or are we missing something here?

I do not work in such an environment, so I am not an expert in these matters. But since all the externally linked geometries can be edited from the master/layout/parent scene, the described behavior makes sense to me. However, I expect that using the new "Limited Reference" type of external link that is described here https://www.ironcad.com/blog/whats-new-in-2024/#_Toc153481182 , (which doesn't allow editing the linked geometries from the layout file) might actually solve your problem.

Edited by B. Ludin

Hi Sharath,

Try that using External links\

Kim

Using External Links, the behavior of collaboration is as follows currently (without a Data Management System):

Example Case: Main.ics is the main scene with an Assembly and two parts under the assembly. Part1.ics and Part2.ics are both external linked files. 

1. If Main.ics is NOT opened on a machine. Users on different machines can open Part1.ics and Part2.ics independently to work on the files. 
  2. If Part1.ics and/or Part2.ics are opened on user machines, another user can open Main.ics and work on the content of that file. If the user tries to edit Part1.ics or Part2.ics, there will be a read-only warning that these have already been opened and edited. Note: Changes to Part1/2.ics from the original users will not appear in Main.ics when saved (Main.ics will need to be reopened to get the updates). 
  3. If Main.ics is opened first, users will get a read-only warning that Part1/2.ics are in use if they try to open them on another machine. Basically the owning file of the external links will lock out the other files on open if they are not already open.

Now if you have a Data Management system, this is different as these systems use the concepts of Check-out on the linked files. So the opening order is not restricted like it is above. A data management system could be Synergy, DDM from CSI, or our CAXA EDM system. 

Hopefully, that will help explain the link management. 

Now, I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole, but there is more involved way around this using Shrinkwrap. Basically, users could open a simplified version of the Main file (that refers to a Part1_Simple.ics file, for example). That way Part1.ics is never locked when the main file is opened. However, you either have to keep updating the Shrinkwrap file so that when the Main Simplified is open it gets the latest changes or users will need to know that the simplified is a placeholder and when they need the real update, they open the full model version. One of the nice things about this, it can help prevent modifications from happening in the Main file if not wanted.  Below is a video on this.

This is correct behavior. I work with two others and we work on the same things all externally linked. You just have to alter your workflow to accommodate and it's a non-issue. Work on subassemblies in parallel and you will have no issues so far as no one opens the main project (which why would they if they are working only a sub-assembly) and they do not share a common part (lifting lug present in both sub-assemblies etc.). If they do share a common part, allocate those sub-assemblies to the same person and problem solved. It's not frustrating if you just coordinate with the people working with you. This also allows for everyone to be more in-tune with other aspects of the project because a certain amount of information of each sub-assembly must be understood.

-Spencer

• Like 1

I'm a little sorry to talk about other software here, but there is a Chinese proverb that says that you need to know the enemy so that our allies can win the war.
It has Top-Down Design for Creo and WAVE function for NX.
I think it would be good to benchmark and develop other CAD products in IronCAD's Structured Mode Modeling.

Ok, I have tested whether it works when externally linking using the new Limited Reference option, and unfortunately, it does not (yet). I can't see a reason why it shouldn't, though. So this would be an easy ER: the main scene should not claim externally linked geometry that is linked via Limited Reference. This would instantly enable the described kind of collaboration. In addition, there should be a command to convert traditional links to a limited reference links, so older files can be updated easily.

9 hours ago, B. Ludin said:

Ok, I have tested whether it works when externally linking using the new Limited Reference option, and unfortunately, it does not (yet). I can't see a reason why it shouldn't, though. So this would be an easy ER: the main scene should not claim externally linked geometry that is linked via Limited Reference. This would instantly enable the described kind of collaboration. In addition, there should be a command to convert traditional links to a limited reference links, so older files can be updated easily.

Hy Peter, I guess that Limited Reference for Exterrnal link is the new way to using the next step in configuration that I wanted before(From my understood, I can using the different Configurations in the just one file(Linked to several times) that linked that is not allowed before IronCAD2024). I guess it saved me a lot.

Kim

On 2/23/2024 at 4:26 AM, Cary OConnor said:

Using External Links, the behavior of collaboration is as follows currently (without a Data Management System):

Example Case: Main.ics is the main scene with an Assembly and two parts under the assembly. Part1.ics and Part2.ics are both external linked files. 

1. If Main.ics is NOT opened on a machine. Users on different machines can open Part1.ics and Part2.ics independently to work on the files. 
  2. If Part1.ics and/or Part2.ics are opened on user machines, another user can open Main.ics and work on the content of that file. If the user tries to edit Part1.ics or Part2.ics, there will be a read-only warning that these have already been opened and edited. Note: Changes to Part1/2.ics from the original users will not appear in Main.ics when saved (Main.ics will need to be reopened to get the updates). 
  3. If Main.ics is opened first, users will get a read-only warning that Part1/2.ics are in use if they try to open them on another machine. Basically the owning file of the external links will lock out the other files on open if they are not already open.

Now if you have a Data Management system, this is different as these systems use the concepts of Check-out on the linked files. So the opening order is not restricted like it is above. A data management system could be Synergy, DDM from CSI, or our CAXA EDM system. 

Hopefully, that will help explain the link management. 

Now, I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole, but there is more involved way around this using Shrinkwrap. Basically, users could open a simplified version of the Main file (that refers to a Part1_Simple.ics file, for example). That way Part1.ics is never locked when the main file is opened. However, you either have to keep updating the Shrinkwrap file so that when the Main Simplified is open it gets the latest changes or users will need to know that the simplified is a placeholder and when they need the real update, they open the full model version. One of the nice things about this, it can help prevent modifications from happening in the Main file if not wanted.  Below is a video on this.

Hi Cary ,  It seems like I've run into a couple of hiccups. Shrink-wrapping a big assembly can be a bit tricky, especially when dealing with hundreds of parts assemblies . It appears that the shrink-wrap feature works best when selecting parts individually, but that's quite time-consuming in our case. Or is there a way to select big assemblies one ? . As for the linked subassemblies, I've managed to create a test file with a main layout containing two linked subassemblies. However, when i try to select a particular part to edit and the remaining stays as simple , the selection seems to be happening randomly, rather than letting you choose the specific part you want. Does that sound about right?

On 2/23/2024 at 8:33 PM, B. Ludin said:

Yeah this could be the option

In the Shrinkwrap command. change the selection filter (at the bottom right of the screen to Assembly/Part. Select on the desired assembly and a Dialog will pop-up to allow you to select the assembly or sub assemblies. Pick the assembly and select add and it will add it to the Select Parts to Keep dialog.