Lock files with prompts or password

Vendel

You can mark them read-only as one method in the folder system.

Another less secure is to set the Prevent Selection Below the Assembly. This will block selection below but users could disable that in the right-click menu.

Another option is to create a Shrink wrap version of the external links and insert the Shrink Wrap version in other files. If they need to edit them, they can then load the Real file when necessary in the file-open options. 

Hope those help.  

Hi Cary,
It is a little misleading to use the "Prevent Selection Below the Assembly" because if you link out another copy it is not blocked and you can still edit the part unless you set that every time. That's why I was asking for something like this before. The other thing that would be nice is to be able to shut off the auto update on the drawing. That can cause a lot of extra work if it's updated when you don't want but I think I've asked for that before.

Thanks,
Doug

Hello Cary and Doug, thank you for answering my question.

I take it there are no functions availabe presently to do what i want.
This is a shame, it felt like an obvious feature to have.

Basically, our product line is based of some core components that does not have variations, however they get revisions. because these files will be externally linked to hundreds of projects i really dont want anyone who can access the files to make any changes to them. So locking the individual parts would be very helpful for us.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards.

Hi Vendel,

I realize that this isn't exactly what you're after, but it provides another option (adding to what Cary has already suggested). That is, to save your original Part files as "Master Part" files, and then create new "Part" files (as Structured Parts) that have a BREP feature in them that is linked to the original "Master" files. If you save these new files as the original file names, all of your linked Assemblies across your many projects will automatically start referring to these new child files (that can't be easily edited). This is demonstrated in the attached video.

Something that isn't demonstrated in the video (but that's necessary) is copying the Part Properties from the Master Part to the newly created Child Part. This can be done easily using the Eye Dropper tool.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

Hi again Malcom.

Thank you for your thorough answer, however i think i will have to settle with locking the files in windows initially.

It will be easy enough to lock the individual files when needed, even though i would have preferred an integrated option.

Best regards.

Hi Vendel,

I agree with your choice.

We work a lot with externally linked files, with common parts shared between client projects. The common challenges we've faced in doing this are:

1. When we need to send a complete project folder to a client, we need to include these "common parts" that are saved in different folders.

2. Keeping track of every project where we have used these "common parts".

The solution that I suggested helps us overcome both of these challenges. Each project folder has its own "child" version of the part, that is referencing the "master" part in a different location. When we need to send a complete project folder, all of the necessary parts are then already in that folder. We can also easily see (in Windows Explorer) all of the parts used within the project (which is useful).

When it comes to identifying the projects where "common parts" are used, we simply perform a search within Windows Explorer. It lists all of the parts that share the same file name. That is, the original "master" file and any "child" files that are referencing that "master" file.

Malcolm

You could use an Data Management System as well that helps prevent this. You can either Release a file and no changes can be made unless a new release is issued. Or when a user checks-out a external file, all other references become read-only as it is already checked out. Synergy can serve this type of data management as an option. It just puts in a different level of design process in place that you need to work by check-out/in processes versus simple file management. 

1 hour ago, Cary OConnor said:

You could use an Data Management System as well that helps prevent this. You can either Release a file and no changes can be made unless a new release is issued. Or when a user checks-out a external file, all other references become read-only as it is already checked out. Synergy can serve this type of data management as an option. It just puts in a different level of design process in place that you need to work by check-out/in processes versus simple file management. 

Isn't Synergy a fully-cloud?

I want to protect my beautiful works from capitalists in local

So... How many people want to use PLM or PDM???

Kim

The current Synergy offering is hosted on the AWS cloud but it was designed to support local as well (or AWS local/private). The difference really is the maintenance. When it is host by IronCAD, the server maintenance is done by our team. If you have a IT team, then a local option would be something to consider. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for helping me in this matter.^_^

I have decided to start by locking the files from withing the windows file manager. 

If this doesn't work with my work i might try the Structured part approach. I need to finish the individual parts to several objects before i decide which path to take.

This does two things.
- Project which contains this file can only be saved to new files.
- A prompt is shown when i try to edit said part.

Synergy doesn't sound to bad either, as long as we can run it locally. But as the only designer, i think it might be a bit overkill.

This is more of a file management issue for sure. With the right admin rights to your server you can create groups for managing permissions (assuming windows). We use these permissions to control who can do what and do NOT allow people that don't know what they are doing to access files, especially linked ones. We implement training for new people that ensures they know how important it is to manage them correctly and ease them into less significant changes until we trust them fully (doesn't take long). There is of course the 3D viewer called "Compose" that will not allow changes more or less which will allow people from within the company to view the 3D files themselves with far less control. These people will generally not have IC at all and just the compose file viewer. Our shop, for instance, has extremely limited access and only has viewers and can only access certain files. I wouldn't expect IC to have to deal with the permission issues since its a file and folder issue at its heart. The biggest thing is to not allow people who don't know what they are doing to have access to those files and to calmly explain why that's the case if it comes up, I think you will find mostly anyone will understand and be fine with the viewer since that's all they are likely doing anyways. If they do want to mess with the model, just provide them with a quick, unlinked (use external link manager and one click) version and tell them to have at it.