Questions about Structured modeling with Skeleton

tgjang

Hi

I'm trying to model a Wire Contact Crimper with a method in Structured Mode, like the Creo Advanced Assembly design method, where I create a skeleton with the basic information I need to design, and the body is created with reference to that, and then I change the link lengths as I go.
So far, I have only modeled in Innovate Mode and never in Structured Mode.

I have tried modeling in Structured mode many times but failed because the skeleton is not fixed and the whole thing moves, so I want to know how to design in such cases.

Thanks

Crimper_Skeleton.png

Termianl_Crimper-Skeleton.ics

Terminal_Crimper.png

Design with skeletons.

Edited by tgjang

Hi tgjang,

Malcolm has made quite a few videos which I am sure will help you. Not only instructional ones from scratch, but also in answer to people's requests when they have come cross problems. Do a search on his posts. It's the starting off of structured parts that needs to be done right.

Here's a reference for you to start with;

image.thumb.png.5f5be0a214e5a9ade1fa7118aeb383bd.png

Hi tgjang,

I've just watched the video (as I was curious regarding PTC). The design process demonstrated seemed more complicated than is necessary with Structured Parts in IRONCAD. So, I don't recommend strictly following the methodology demonstrated in the video. What PTC describes as "Skeleton Parts" we (my company specifically) refer to as "Layout Sketches". We use "Layout Sketches" all the time for controlling the size and positioning of Parts. So, I understand the concept very well.

However, there are a couple of different ways that this can be approached using Structured Parts.

1. Is to duplicate the process demonstrated in the PTC video. That is, with a separate "Skeleton Part" driving separate linked "Parts".

2. Creating all of the "Parts" as associated "Bodies" within a single "Master" Multibody Part.

The principle of driving the size and position of everything from a "Layout Sketch" (Skeleton Part), remains the same for both options.

In your attached file you have 2 Innovative Sketches that have no Projected Constraints between them. So, there is no association between the sketches. You have to understand how to use "Projected Constraints", as they are the basis of everything that you'll be doing within Structured Parts.

Malcolm

I should do some more studying of what Malcolm has posted on IronCAD Academy about structured mode design in IronCAD and try my hand at layout design.

I really appreciate Malcolm taking the time to answer my questions.

Thank you very much. Malcolm & Hdear :D

Hi tgjang,

Below is a link to a forum post that is a better place for you to start (rather than the Academy), as the videos and documentation in the forum post were created specifically for beginners to Structured Parts (whereas the Academy videos weren't). This post doesn't specifically demonstrate what you want to do with Sketches, but you need to understand the basics.

Malcolm

On 8/19/2023 at 6:59 PM, HDEAR said:

Hi tgjang,

Malcolm has made quite a few videos which I am sure will help you. Not only instructional ones from scratch, but also in answer to people's requests when they have come cross problems. Do a search on his posts. It's the starting off of structured parts that needs to be done right.

On 8/19/2023 at 6:59 PM, HDEAR said:

Hi tgjang,

Hi Hdear.
I have tried to follow all the Structure Part Design from malcolm you told me and it is a completely different problem.
I think this problem is similar to the feature Multi body modeling in Solidworks.
Multi body modeling is a way to design the entire product as a single part and specify the features used as a single part. I am looking for a way to implement that modeling method in IronCAD like in Solidworks, or a feature like Motion Skeleton in Creo or WAVE in NX.

Thanks.

I tried to create this model using a 2D Sketch as a Skeleton, but I don't know if this is the right way to do it.

I didn't find any tutorials or samples of IronCAD's Structured Desingn on the Internet except for Malcolm's, so I thought that IronCAD Structured Design was completely useless, but I was very excited to hear that Malcolm applies Structured Model Design about 50% of the time.

Thank you very much. Malcolm

Termianl_Crimper-Skeleton-1.ics

Edited by tgjang

Hi tgjang,

I'm pleased that you made the effort to construct this, and congratulations on creating a Multibody Structured Part. Where you went wrong was that the very first feature needs to be your Skeleton Sketch (Layout Sketch). From there you then want to create a separate Sketch for each of the Parts, with each of these Sketches being associated to the Skeleton Sketch (and if necessary, any other Part Sketch before it). Then, you use these Part Sketches as the basis for constructing the solid bodies.

This is explained in the attached video, but I'll create a separate video for you shortly demonstrating how to associate these separate Part Sketches to the initial Skeleton Sketch. So that everything follows any changes made to the Skeleton Sketch.

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Two more things I would like to know are
1. to verify that what I designed with the Multi Body method works and is driven by mouse move.
2. if the user sets the view direction of the oblique assembled part used to design with the Multi Body modeling technique in the 3D scene in 3D, and then creates a 2D drawing, will the 2D Drawing View Direction be disturbed when the drawn part changes direction in the 3D scene?

Thanks.

Hi tgjang,

Attached is the promised demonstration video. I've also attached various *.ics files of the steps shown in the video.

I've only demonstrated the construction of the Skeleton Sketch and the first 2 Parts. Hopefully this is sufficient to convey the principle.

Malcolm

TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 2b.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 2a.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 3b.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 3a.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 1b.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Step 1a.ics

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tgjang said:

1. to verify that what I designed with the Multi Body method works and is driven by mouse move.

At the end of the demonstration video I add geometry to the Skeleton Sketch to provide "Shape Handles" for dragging the geometry using a mouse. So, you have the option to either drive the model using Parameters or to move it Freely with the mouse.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tgjang said:

2. if the user sets the view direction of the oblique assembled part used to design with the Multi Body modeling technique in the 3D scene in 3D, and then creates a 2D drawing, will the 2D Drawing View Direction be disturbed when the drawn part changes direction in the 3D scene?

Because Bodies use the Coordinate System of the Parent Structured Part, if the Body reorientates within the Structured Part, the BREP within any externally linked Part will also reorientate in the same way. So, yes it will affect the Generated Views within 2D Drawings. However, if you use "Define Front View Definition" within the externally linked Part, and generate your 2D Views using that, then that should no longer be a problem. See the attached videos.

Note that when Generating Views, it's critical to select "Associate to Front View Definition".

Malcolm

TERMINAL CRIMPER - Part Drawings - Part 2.ics TERMINAL CRIMPER - Part Drawings.ics

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Thanks 1

Hi
I have never used Structured Modeling in IronCAD because it is very unfamiliar and uncomfortable, and I have not found any reference material, especially about the connection between Mechanism and Skeleton, but I am very grateful that Malcolm has created and uploaded a very good material this time.
I am very grateful that Malcolm has spent a lot of time creating this material without any compensation.
Thank you much. Malcolm. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great missile,

Send to him your bank account!!!

Kim