Not so wise decision on the notebook

Just a brief on notebooks I had for years. I use the desktop 98 percent with IRONCAD and only 2 percent on a mobile notebook. My first one was an i5 with nvidia graphics in 2010, Ryzen 5 2500U in 2018 and Ryzen 7 7730U w/ OLED display this July. The i5 was okay but the it was on hdd that made it slow. Nvidia pull the plug on support for gpu early and the i5 gpu was the least. Surprisingly, the Ryzen 5 2500U apu did well but no longer supported.

Ryzen 7 7730U was a bit of a disappointment, as rotating/scroll zoom the model goes to a blank flashing white screen and the shaded with edges was not desirable at all. I have updated the the driver, no improvement and wifi was buggy. Was RMA 2 weeks ago and got back. The wifi part was replaced and OS re-installed. The shaded with edges got fixed but the flashing white screen on zoom and rotation still persist. KeyShot is okay though. Oh well, I have to write it down as a loss.

:(

Are you saying you use the CPU for graphics? Most good/ recent AMD cards don't even have onboard graphics anymore so you have no choice but to buy a GPU. They figured they would save consumers money by assuming if you are buying a high performance CPU you are almost certainly buying a GPU also (This is why AMD CPU price to performance is so good). I would highly recommend a GPU if this is the case, even most of the cheapest GPU's will out perform a nice CPU's integrated graphics. A CPU is more like having one great mind as opposed to thousands of pretty smart minds. The task of graphical production needs those massive amounts of cores to operate smoothly and effectively. A good example of this is my GPU has 6144 cores and my CPU has 12 (24 threads). Both are very high performance, but the CPU is ideal for computational things for the most part and the GPU is great at rendering graphics in real time or otherwise (animation rendering etc). It really does make a night and day difference and would be the best cost to performance boost you could make.

My old notebook with Ryzen 5 2500U (with 1100 MHz Vega 8 Radeon W10 support only) 4C8T APU worked without a hitch compared Ryzen 7 7730U (with 2000MHz Vega 8 Radeon W11supported) 8C16T. To make my new notebook work, I have to disable Dynamic Mode in rendering compared with the old that worked off the bat.

Hi folks,

Some would call it stupid or unforgivable to choose a notebook wich integrated graphics for the heavy-duty work, but for me, my Suface 8 Pro with IronCAD work as very satisify. The experience is not much different from working on a PC(Only difference is I have to turn off "Draw part edges" option even more than a PC for the performance), and I did not experience the screen problems mentioned above.

The weight of Surface Pro 8 including the keboard&the pen is 1kg, there is another laptop in te company with RTX3080 and this one weighs 3.3 kg and the charging adapter alone weighs over 1 kg. I don't call it a notebook, I call it an exercise machine.

If CPUs become more advanced, I'm considering buying a integrated graphics laptop again, and I look forward to getting a CPU based on Apple silicon-class x86 architecture someday. :D

Kim

I also have a laptop I could use with a 3070 in it, but I typically wont. The issue with using a laptop in software like IC for me is that I NEED a numpad and if you need a numpad the laptop has to be fairly large in order to fit it on the keyboard so at that point I circle back to a desktop again anyways. The idea seems good until I try to actually do it and them i'm like....where is my desk haha.

• 3 months later...

I finally resolve this by a simple switch from DX11 to Opengl2  on the rendering settings of IRONCAD, why didn't I explored it earlier. I can open large assemblies with ease without a hitch h:( (slap on the forehead).  With that said, how long will opengl2 be to supported by IRONCAD and what hold in the future.

Edited by jolizon590016

On 11/3/2023 at 7:43 PM, jolizon590016 said:

I finally resolve this by a simple switch from DX11 to Opengl2  on the rendering settings of IRONCAD, why didn't I explored it earlier. I can open large assemblies with ease without a hitch h:( (slap on the forehead).  With that said, how long will opengl2 be to supported by IRONCAD and what hold in the future.

I have has issues with Open GL and Open GL2 where the part edges look like dotted lines. It is very odd to work with, does this not happen to you also?

I understand where you are coming from, that is how it looks with my old HP that is why I set it to DX11. With my Asus Vivo Workbook 7730U, I was surprised it worked the other way around. It might be AMD updated their drivers or Windows 11 fixed it. I have switched my home machine to Opengl2 from Dx11 and it works fine when it previously worked the same way you have stated. :rolleyes: this is an improvement. I just shifted on also this office Nvidia Quadro P2000 I am replying from and it is also fine.

Regards

Joseph