Changing shapes into parts

While creating a product I had the need to make many copies of a part (simple extrude part from catalogue). Using the triball I dragged the part, set the number of copies and distance and clicked OK. What I didn't notice was that the action made copies of the shape and not the part. I didn't notice it until I need to manipulate one part and when selected, selected all of the parts that I thought were individuals. I know I can erase the part as it stands and recreate things but it will take time to ensure everything is in the right place. It would be easier if it was possible to select all the necessary shapes and convert them into individual parts. Does Ironcad have this capability? I been through the HELP documentation but can't find anything. Please help if possible. Regards.

This situation is easy to do, and it's also easy to fix. One solution is to make multiple copies of the current Part (that contains the multiple Shapes) in the same location, and to then delete the unwanted shapes from each Part, Then, reposition the Anchor of each Part. See the attached video.

Malcolm

Hello IronKevin:

Unfortunately I don't have a license for the Ironcad Mechanical addon as it is not something I need to use.

Malcolm Crowe:

You are right that the method you showed is easy but in my case the number of shapes is about 75 and the time it would take I could erase everything and recreate the parts. I was hoping for a quicker fewer steps option.

Thanks and regards.

• 2 weeks later...

You can create a new catalogue, and drag intellishapes into to this, one or many at once. You can then drag back out (using the existing part for placement) to make a new part. Granted though if you have 75 intellishapes thats quite a bit of dragging in and out.....

I use this technique to copy intellishapes from one part to another.

Export as Step and importing breaks them up into individual parts. But obviously you loose the intellishapes to BREPs, no great loss if your comfortable with the direct shape modelling features.

Make sure none of the "combine as ref geo" are checked otherwise it will smarge them together. (in import options)

image.png.f72445fc1200c51e62c040ef98732475.png

Edited by Nickul