.DSTV file format

rsaucier

Hello everyone. I have a customer that has a bema line and is asking for beams in the model to converted to .DSTV format for their machine. I know IronCAD doe snot support this but wanted to see if anyone has ever come across this and found a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Indirectly I have. We work with a company that uses TEKLA software, which I believe uses this file format for each part. We have them export into .IFC files and import those into IC though. I have never dealt with the native file format directly. I know that isn't helpful, but you may be able to suggest a .IFC export that you can then import. It is my understanding that the .IFC file format is fairly standard and widespread in certain disciplines (architecture/ Civil maybe). Hopefully this helps in someway. 

-Spencer

Hi All, Not sure if this helps but at least some background.

I have spent a lot of time looking into this as here in the UK this is asked for all the time by fabricators who outsource steels cutting. DSTV is known as NC1 file format. I have asked Fronema if they could provide it but I think it has not made there todo list. :( My client was happy to pay for the development of the interface but no takers as yet. If we had a NC1/DSTV format then it does give us a big advantage on fabricating steels and cutting etc. 

File formats like STEP/IGS etc. can sometimes be used on these cutting machines but do not give the ability for the supplier to put into there costing system to provide pricing for cutting/drilling and sawing. My client has to pay for them to transfer his drawings into NC1 so that they can cost and cut the steels.

I have spoken to SputCAM and they are considering this in a future release. Searching for online converters or software, I have not found one that does not cost lots of money. SolidWorks and Inventor have an option to add this at a cost obviously. Not sure of pricing

If I find a solution then I shall post it here or if anyone does find a solution then please let me know.

DSTV stands for:

DSTV (Deutscher Stahlbau-Verband) is a file format developed for use in the steel industry. It can be used to represent various types of sections for e.g. box, I-beam and plate.

If I recall correctly, the .IFC file was also not able to be imported about three years ago and the enhancement request went through. So there is hope for them to find a way or they might already have one.

-Spencer

1 hour ago, SSIMMONS said:

If I recall correctly, the .IFC file was also not able to be imported about three years ago and the enhancement request went through. So there is hope for them to find a way or they might already have one.

-Spencer

Hi Spencer - yes that was me who asked and it doesn't look promising.

55 minutes ago, HDEAR said:

Hi Spencer - yes that was me who asked and it doesn't look promising.

Wait, what? I had asked them directly in person and they did fix it. I have used it many times over the years.

-Spencer

Oh yeah, I never export to that format, only import so maybe that's why it's not been an issue for me personally so far.