Externally Linked Files - Changing File Name and Path

Malcolm Crowe

There are advantages to working with externally linked files (as opposed to having all parts and assemblies within a single file), so understanding and having confidence in how externally linked files work is important. To help with that I've attached a couple of videos demonstrating how to create externally linked files from within a single scene file, and then how to change the name or path of those externally linked files.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Malcolm,

The video I've attached below shows that the methods Malcolm shared work even when there are already created drawing and the externally linked file inside of an externally linked file. Rerouting can be done to keep the drawing and scene linked.
However, if you follow Malcolm's first video method, you will be prompted with a dialog asking what to do with the externally linked file if it exists. If you want to keep the original file links, you should select "Do not process linked files(Keep original)" at the bottom of the dialog. 

If you choose anything else, it will copy those linked files to a different path, which means that the link to the drawing you created will be lost.

image.png.62834fa2c8bf33c8170ecb5dbbdb068c.png.ecf40c013228e74a492b11c04f59d90b.png

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for mentioning that.

Unfortunately I don't know how to speak English as I spent my childhood in Switzerland.

I'll try a little harder :-)

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Externally Linked Files - Changing File Name and Path