Creating Hydraulic/Electrical Schematics w. CAXA

GNÄSLUND

Hello,

I am currently doing electrical and hydraulical schematics in another software but I am looking into using CAXA instead. Do any of you currently use CAXA for this type of work and what is your typical workflow?

Here are some of the questions I have regarding schematics drawing in CAXA right now, I will add more as they arise

• Is it most common to draw the schematics directly in the  Layout view or is there some benefit in using the model view?
  • Is it possible to create a BOM with the components added to the drawing?
  • How do I make the "dot" symbolizing connected wires?

Hi Gustav,

We don't currently produce Schematic Drawings in CAXA, but it has been on our "To Do List" for quite a while, as CAXA is well suited for this purpose. In answer to your questions:

1. Schematic drawings are drawn at a scale of 1:1 to fit within the chosen paper size. I've never come across a "Best Practice" as to whether they should be done in Model Space or Layout Space; but don't use a combination of both with View Ports in Layout Space (draw objects directly in Layout Space).

If done in Layout Space you can have a separate tab (layout) for each sheet within a single file. If done in Model Space then you either need a separate file for each sheet, or you draw all sheets (with their own Drawing Frames and Title Blocks) within Model Space. Some clients are very specific about this, with some demanding a single sheet in Model Space (with a separate file for each sheet), whereas other clients don't care whether Model or Layout Space is used.

2. Yes, it is possible to list all components within a BOM. Each equipment symbol needs to be a "2D Block" with Attributes or Extended Attributes that are matched to the Attributes in your BOM style. For our "2D Blocks" our Attribute Names are the same as our Property Names from the 3D Scene, so that our BOMs work with both 3D and 2D models. If you're not familiar with this, attached is our inhouse document regarding the "Set Matching Rule" within Options. I've also attached a document regarding "Blocks - Attributes and Extended Attributes".

Note that the BOM is specific to the sheet that it is on. So, quantities will be based on the Items selected in that sheet only. If you want a BOM that lists all of the Items and Quantities across multiple sheets, then I suggest creating these multiple sheets (with Frames and Title Blocks) within Model Space, with a separate sheet (also in the same Model Space) specifically for the BOM.

Note that for any "2D Block" to appear in the BOM, it needs to be selected using the 2D Item Number tool. I suggest that you create a specific "Style" for this purpose, such as a Style that displays a "Tag" (Asset Number) rather than an Item Number. In the case of P&IDs, these "Tags" (Asset Numbers) typically need to be added at some point. I have logged an Enhancement Request for CAXA regarding Item Numbers, that users be able to "Toggle" on and off the Leader Line with this in mind, as "Tags" don't typically have leaders.

3. Regarding connections I would create a "2D Block" that can be dropped onto the drawing the same way as any other symbol that you will be dropping. This "2D Block" can consist of a "Circle" with added "Fill" (solid). I recommend creating a similar "2D Block" for "Not Connected" as well, that can simply snap to intersecting lines, without the need to do any trimming or drawing. The "2D Block" can mask the lines beneath it.

Malcolm

IRONCAD DRAFT - Blocks - Attibutes and Extended Attributes - 20221123.pdf IRONCAD DRAFT - Options - System - Set Matching Rule - 20221118.pdf

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2