Architect Needed in New York

tlehnhaeuser

Posting for a customer. Here's the details they provided.

Do you have a referral to an architect that uses IronCAD and can provide New York State certified and stamped construction plans?

I have designed a greenhouse that is 12 ft x 24 ft x 9 ft at the peak.  This is a large enough structure and it will be located in an area where the strength of the structure to support a substantial snow load must be considered.  The materials and design should be sufficient (if not a bit overbuilt) to sustain the snow load in this area and any windstorms.  It would be helpful to have an architect review the design and certify and stamp the plans or advise what needs to be done for the plans to be sufficient to be certified and stamped.  An architect does not have to reside in New York State to be certified and registered in New York State.  Even if New York State does not require the plans to be certified and stamped by an architect, having that review is beneficial for the knowledge that the structure will withstand snow load and windstorms.  I don't have enough time and money to learn by trying, failing and then redoing the project.

New York State Consumer Information for Architecture

Generally, you will need the services of a licensed and registered design professional such as an architect any time you need the approval of a government agency or official for a construction project; these officials can only accept architectural plans and specifications signed and stamped with the seal of the architect. Check with that official to determine what you are required to submit. You will also need an architect when the complexity of the design of a project requires the skills of an architect or when the services fall within the legal definition of architecture.

Unfortunately I have the skills and knowledge to test this, but am not a civil engineer so my work on buildings and structures is passed along to be stamped (I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree). That being said, a civil engineer may also be able to sign off for you if you can find one.

-Spencer

• Like 1

My understanding of the matter is that an architect designs the building, what you have done, and a civil/structural engineer signs off on the design saying it meets the criteria of the various codes. However, the specifics of the legislation in New York are certainly beyond my general knowledge, though I doubt the professions are too different in the US.

In short you need a civil engineer, with a structural engineer being the specific specialization of civil engineer. 

Here is the first one that popped up in a search: https://www.levelengineering.com/ny/ although I do not know if they use Ironcad.

Edited by ASPEER