Hole callout tool questions

bmckelvie

Hi Everyone,

When using the hole callout tool, I have noticed some oddities,  that are probably me not knowing how to use it as intended.  hopefully someone can shed some light on them.

1. In my screen shot I have tried making the holes in many different ways, linking, patterns just making them all independent.  and no matter what I do it only ever shows 1 as a qty,   I would think that it should grab all the holes on the part of the same size and use that for the qty number. Is there a way to make it do this?

2. Why does when dual dimensioning is enabled, does it only dual dimension the depth but not the diameter?

3. Why does it not grab thread data from the model?  I find that I have to manually type in the thread data for all my threaded holes which is really a bad practice (If i change my threads, my drawing will not update leaving a bad drawing).  If I use transfer thread data to drawing when making the hole in modeling, it pollutes all the drawings and makes them all unreadable,  then I spend all my time hiding thread data from 20 other levels that are not needed.  So it appears that my options are,  show thread data on all drawing and assembly levels, or manually type it in where I want it.  Both of which are bad time consuming options.  So I figure I must be missing something.

Brent

image.thumb.png.ed6a4a4e6987f7a8dcf7b38152b269ad.png

Hi, Brent

1. Are you using this option to calculate qty?

image.png.46698daa550fa9abeb2e6d4398202a4a.png

3. This is me experience.

1) If there are more than one part's views in one sheet, hole callouts are not created before delete other views (Me don't know is it a bug or not). see the last video at below post

2) If there is other sheet that contains same part view and if that view already using holecallouts in one ICD. Probably, when ICD is looking for something to display callouts, it is looking for it in the entire sheet, not in one sheet, and the ID is duplicated, so it won't appear. You need to upload the sample file to check more details.

00000009_p.jpg.ec017ebbb0b7218cd2eea2b25242cc33.jpg

With that option on, Me have to update the sheet for showing qty

14 hours ago, bmckelvie said:

I wish I had started these drawings in CAXA,  but everytime I try i run into other issues.

I was lucky when deciding to change from ICD to CAXA. I had Malcolm encourage and train me ( exercising HEAPS of patience I must add ) and after several months, I pretty much had the hang of it and never regretted changing. In fact I am glad I changed.

CAXA offers so much more. It's a pity that CAXA training is severely lacking on IC's web-site, and that the odd bugs it has hardly ever get fixed despite repeated requests over time.

However it's still worth the pain of change from ICD to CAXA in my opinion.

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

Me don't have the courage to challenge CAXA :P

BTW, As Me know CAXA does not have a dimscale command, then how do you changing Dimension scale for each sheets? Did you make several dimstyles that have other scale?

Me think Me needed 5~7 clicks to change the dimension scale in CAXA's style manager. Ohh.... me finger...

Hi Kim,

CAXA DRAFT does have Dimscale (Dimension Scale), and it is very easy to access (not too many clicks for your fingers). See the attached video if you're interested.

In my experience of helping new users, it is a myth that CAXA DRAFT is more difficult to learn and use than ICD. Unfortunately, it is just poorly configured by default, and isn't promoted by IRONCAD and Resellers (for reasons that I don't understand). Most users should be encouraged to use CAXA DRAFT rather than ICD (for many reasons).

Malcolm

..... it is just poorly configured by default, and isn't promoted by IRONCAD and Resellers (for reasons that I don't understand).

That's where the Pain I mentioned comes in :rolleyes:

Hi Malcolm, thank you for the video.

I knew there was a dim scale property in fit :P That is not my ideal "dimscale" command. This is the dimscale what I was looking for.

image.png.255cfef7857a9ee6aa37523155e4cbcc.png

like in Autocad, ds(DIMSCALE) -> enter -> 2 -> enter in the command line (without any click, yes I hate click ;))

We always have to change dimscale at least once for each sheet in CAXA draft like legacy CADs, I remember Default value was "1".

That is one of the reasons I can not adventure into CAXA.

Other reasons :

2. CAXA draft does not support Lisp language yet

3. When I want to add tolerance to the dimension, I have to click more than 4 times

4. With Ortho Mode on, Moving object Snap to Snap diagon..........Okay I've found Orthogonal first option in Object Snap tap in Aptitude in Options just now. Thanks

5. Compared to other CADs, it is lagging executing the strech command

6. Switching ICS <-> CAXA draft is slow (5sec? I'm wondering Why CAXA draft always recreats UI) if I opened big files

I'd appreciate it if there is any tip or trick. :rolleyes:

Hello Dear CAXA users, I'm trying CAXA now. It is pretty faster than ICD. I like it

But... I got stuck just in a minute...

1) How can I change the Move View's keyboard shortcut??

image.png.0c4828ebd9af09597045df86e82703d9.png

image.png.57405029783e5f3abef1690609ee16f7.png

I've been looking for it for 10 minutes, but I can't find it. :blink:

2) Can't CAXA change the configuration in 3d view edit orientation after view is created?

image.png.94abd4d1c0b30cb3db141c70aee97c31.png

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bertrand Kim

On 10/15/2022 at 10:20 PM, Bertrand Kim said:

3. When I want to add tolerance to the dimension, I have to click more than 4 times

I'd appreciate it if there is any tip or trick. :rolleyes:

Hi Kim, it may be simpler than you think and it takes me just two seconds. The video is a lot slower than I actually do it, just so you don't miss anything.
Harley

Edited by HDEAR

hI, kIM

On 10/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, Bertrand Kim said:

1) How can I change the Move View's keyboard shortcut??

yOU dON'T NEED THAT TOOL, JUST DRAG THE VIEW. YOUR A MORON. aND YOU CAN FIND [vIEW tRANSLATION] IN 3d iNTERFACE THAT IS mOVE vIEW'S REAL NAME. tHE PROGRAM HAD DECEIVED YOU BECUASE YOU DON'T USE EXPANDED COMMAND LINE, yOU ARE WELCOME

On 10/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, Bertrand Kim said:

2) Can't CAXA change the configuration in 3d view edit orientation after view is created?

jUST USE VIEW PROPERTIES TO CHANGE CONFIGURATION INSTEAD OF EDIT ORIENTATION

Hi, Harley. Thank you for that 6 clicks + wide mouse travle

Our finger cartilage and the wrist are not eternity even during lifetime

These days, because of technology, anti-aging research is starting to work, so Me have to be ready to work even if Me am 200 yo. Damn it scientists

Me think we need to make a CAXA add-in something like this Lisp

I'd appreciate if someone go to learn CRX and make it for I B)

Edited by Bertrand Kim

21 hours ago, Bertrand Kim said:

Thank you for that 6 clicks + wide mouse travel

Our finger cartilage and the wrist are not eternity even during lifetime

These days, because of technology, anti-aging research is starting to work, so Me have to be ready to work even if Me am 200 yo. Damn it scientists

Me think we need to make a CAXA add-in something like this Lisp

I'd appreciate if someone go to learn CRX and make it for I B)

Oh, I see what you're getting at. That would be a nice addition for CAXA. I wouldn't hold your breath, but you could try praying for a miracle :rolleyes: