External Link Question

Bertrand Kim

Hello world!

[An Assembly to Save As Part/Assembly] only linked An Assembly (It doesn't contain others added after save) -> A

[Insert Part/Assembly An Assembly + more] linked everything contained that ICS -> B

Is it possible to change A to B or B to A?

I'm really curious about it because there is no way to B to A afaik!

ps) local reseller said don't use ctrl+C or ctrl+X on External link object, because this behavior would be crash my file. is it real?

Thanks!

Kim

Cary, what if the "Scene File Container Assembly" would use another type of assembly icon in the Scene Browser? Maybe the red IC beam (same as the top icon) instead of the yellow assembly icon? The name of the "Scene File Container Assembly" should then be the same as the Scene File name (*.ICS).

image.png.dadadd4e29aa4178956a861d7821c7a7.png

This is a quite common thing and often then an issue, specially for new users but also experienced users sometimes forget how this works. I've explained exactly what you did in the video countless of times to so many users. I don't think it would become harder to understand with the ICS file icon instead of a "regular" assembly icon. It would also make it easier to spot by support and (hopefully) also tell the users that it isn't a specific (top level) assembly from another file but "the whole content" of that ICS file.

• Like 1

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Bertrand Kim said:

I'm really curious about it because there is no way to B to A afaik!

And I think I can make this behavior by Replacing the linked file and doing some extra work!

I attached Speach-to-Text file of Cary's video for non native english speakers. Thank you AI!

2022-08-02-15-28-51.mp4.537a0a2d7c5dcf70eb5019d79b7a3493.mp3.txt

Hello Jonas and Cary,

could you please elaborate on when inseting an "Scene File Container Assembly" could be helpful.

I would also support the proposal of a different icon like Jonas suggested for the "Scene File Container Assembly" to avoid any confusion.

Stefan