Item Bubble

LEE MENG CHE

Hi

I have a question with icd , please refer my video , there are two parts and one is inside the other one so I transfer to icd and open the hidden edges options , now I want to use the Item Bubble to mark the two parts , but I can't mark the inside part , is there any way to do it? 

thank you , MC Lee

Hi, 
So I may not be entirely correct about this, but I have had trouble item bubbling in similar situations and concluded that the Item Bubble is not able to determine the depth in the view that you are trying to select and it ends up linking to the top layer (or first item that it encounters).  Usually if you can grab an edge or some other feature you can get the item bubble to display as intended.  Generally, when it comes to item callouts on drawings, I try to provide clear views in which the part being called out is explicitly shown, rather than being entirely hidden (as in this case).  For an actual drawing for a client, this would utilize detail views, section views, and exploded views to achieve this as clearly as possible.  

One workaround you may consider that we have used in the past is to simply create a "fake" item bubble that is just a "Text with Leader" that you can add a bubble/circle to.  This callout will not auto-update with your BoM, however.

I realize this doesn't totally answer your specific question, but I hope it helps show how you can find alternative workarounds to convey the same information in a different way.

Hope this helps,

- Sam

image.thumb.png.0b309d2a7925df4475ff7e137bbadca3.png

I agree with Sam that you should avoid placing "visual references" (item bubbles, in this case) to hidden objects. But if you show the hidden edges, that might be fine. Though, you should be able to find one of the two dashed vertical hidden edges with the Item Bubble tool? The hole itself isn't visible other than those "edges".

Anyway, there's another fast and very simple solution to your question! As soon as you've created a BOM, you can right click on a view and choose to AutoCreate Item Bubbles.

bild.png.18a50fcbd965c0b71ac7573eef212c35.png

In general, it might be too many item bubbles, or placed on the wrong place etc. But it should solve this specific case.

Another good option (as Sam also mentioned) is to use a Text with Leader where you can show properties from the selected part. Below is a catalog that you can open (from the Catalog Browser, or just drop into IC when an ICD is opened) in the IronCAD ("White Sheet") Drawing with pre-made text boxes that reads properties from the part you drop on (green snap color). I made this for another user who wanted to read the length (Height/Extrude distance) from pipes, instead of placing dimensions to/from points which was often hidden by other stuff at the ends.

TextProp.icc

There are also text boxes which reads User Name, Part Number, Description, Weight (based on the weight unit of the drawing), Material and has different directions of the Leader Line and Arrow.

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna
more! =)
  • Like 1

Jonas,

I like both of your alternative options that I had never really considered.  The ability to read properties from a part into a dropped Text Box or Text with Leader is pretty game-changing for alot of the annotations we do in my office - the more we can simplify the drawing creation process and focus work into the 3D modeling and properties, the better.

- Sam

On 11/8/2021 at 11:08 PM, Jonas@Solidmakarna said:

I agree with Sam that you should avoid placing "visual references" (item bubbles, in this case) to hidden objects. But if you show the hidden edges, that might be fine. Though, you should be able to find one of the two dashed vertical hidden edges with the Item Bubble tool? The hole itself isn't visible other than those "edges".

Anyway, there's another fast and very simple solution to your question! As soon as you've created a BOM, you can right click on a view and choose to AutoCreate Item Bubbles.

bild.png.18a50fcbd965c0b71ac7573eef212c35.png

In general, it might be too many item bubbles, or placed on the wrong place etc. But it should solve this specific case.

Another good option (as Sam also mentioned) is to use a Text with Leader where you can show properties from the selected part. Below is a catalog that you can open (from the Catalog Browser, or just drop into IC when an ICD is opened) in the IronCAD ("White Sheet") Drawing with pre-made text boxes that reads properties from the part you drop on (green snap color). I made this for another user who wanted to read the length (Height/Extrude distance) from pipes, instead of placing dimensions to/from points which was often hidden by other stuff at the ends.

TextProp.icc 1.08 MB · 4 downloads

There are also text boxes which reads User Name, Part Number, Description, Weight (based on the weight unit of the drawing), Material and has different directions of the Leader Line and Arrow.

Hi Jonas ,

Thank for your sharing , the AutoCreate Item Bubbles can solve my question , that's great !

MC Lee

There is one other way that i used to use, but im not sure it still works and in general I would agree with Sam on this. Use a section view and item bubble there. The other method i refer to is hiding the part blocking you from bubbling in the view, bubbling, unhiding part.

-Spencer

Edit: It let me bubble an object inside another one right away. See video. also, see second video if that does not work for you.

Edited by SSIMMONS
Additional Information