Creating sketch-based structured parts

GNÄSLUND

I use structured parts more and more as I design complex parts in IronCAD and I think we all sometime have forgotten to reset the mode switch after creating a sketch-based structured part. When I then return to creating innovative parts with intellishape they are still created in structured mode.

It is annoying that it is not immediately obvious that the part has been created in the wrong mode and it is not possible to change at a later time.

Solution: Create an empty structured part, populate it with a starter sketch and anything else you like. Drag it to a catalog and voila you are done. :)

You can now create sketch-based structured parts from the catalog without needing to flip the mode switch back and forth.

Attached is a catalog with two three useful starter parts.

Just my 2 cents for slightly improving an already great CAD system :) What do you think?

Structured parts.icc

Edited by GNÄSLUND
Added catalog
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing, as it's a great suggestion!

We use this process for creating empty parts in catalogs (both Innovative and Structured), that are preloaded with commonly used part level parameters. This is so we don't have to recreate these commonly used parameters each time we create new parts.

Malcolm