Mold design in IronCAD

I would probably copy the part and use a Boolean subtraction operation (or hole block, or trim) to create two halves that make the whole. After that add some alignment pegs and holes and you should be good to go, unless I am misunderstanding your question. As far as core part, use a Boolean operation for that also. You can do a rough block that goes slightly beyond the extents of the cavity and then subtract the mold from the solid.

Hi,

To begin with the part needs to be modified so that it is suitable for injection molding. The part currently has some negative draft angles (undercuts) which won't allow the mold to open. Attached is a video demonstrating the problems along with the modifications necessary (correcting and adding of drafting angles).

Malcolm

Modified Part (Draft Angles) Suitable for Molding.PNG

Hi,

With the part now suitable for injection molding, attached is a video demonstrating how to create the "Cavity Parting Surface" and the "Core Parting Surface" needed to create the "Cavity" and "Core" halves of the mold. This demonstration was done using "Innovative Part" mode, but personally I would always create plastic molded parts and their associated mold cavities and cores using "Structured Part" mode, so that everything remains associated to each other.

I've also attached the scene file used in the demonstration video. I hope this helps give some ideas.

Malcolm

Mold Cavity and Core - Innovative.PNG

Mold Cavity and Core - Innovative.ics

• Thanks 3

On 7/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, SSIMMONS said:

I would probably copy the part and use a Boolean subtraction operation (or hole block, or trim) to create two halves that make the whole. After that add some alignment pegs and holes and you should be good to go, unless I am misunderstanding your question. As far as core part, use a Boolean operation for that also. You can do a rough block that goes slightly beyond the extents of the cavity and then subtract the mold from the solid.

This is useful , thanks a lot !

On 7/10/2021 at 12:15 PM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi,

With the part now suitable for injection molding, attached is a video demonstrating how to create the "Cavity Parting Surface" and the "Core Parting Surface" needed to create the "Cavity" and "Core" halves of the mold. This demonstration was done using "Innovative Part" mode, but personally I would always create plastic molded parts and their associated mold cavities and cores using "Structured Part" mode, so that everything remains associated to each other.

I've also attached the scene file used in the demonstration video. I hope this helps give some ideas.

Malcolm

Mold Cavity and Core - Innovative.PNG

Mold Cavity and Core - Innovative.ics 1.59 MB · 4 downloads

Hi , Malcolm

This is much more as I expected to get  , I do appreciate your effort and I feel warm in IronCAD family , as you mentioned , structure part has better association , how do you process this ? many thanks for your help !  

• Like 1

I've created a "Structured Part" example (using your part) and posted in the link below, which containing other examples of "Structured Parts".

In the video attached to that post I've demonstrated some of the key benefits of using "Structured Parts" for your application.

I'll create another video regarding some of the steps involved, and post it for you back here.

Attached are the applicable Part and Mold scene files.

Malcolm

Mold Cavity and Core - Mold.ics Mold Cavity and Core - Part.ics

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
Scene files attached.
  • Like 1

As promised above, attached is part 1 of 3, of a step-by-step video (this part is 9 minutes long) demonstrating how to create the Mold Cavity and Core as a multi-bodied "Structured Part", that is externally linked to the Part file (which is also a "Structured Part"). If changes are now made to the Part, these changes will be automatically reflected in the Mold Cavity and Core (as per the video of the Structured Part example in the above link).

I hope the video makes sense to you and that it is a help. Good luck.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi , @Malcolm Crowe

I just got a model as attached and try to do mold design to create core and cavity parts , to follow your instruction as prior video , but this model seems much complicated , I have trouble to create the core and cavity parts as the process as prior instruction , could you show me some to help me this job , thanks .

MC. Lee

image.png.6b5794da0d522c84aca211076ac1dbbd.png

Mold Deign-2022.ics

Edited by LEE MENG CHE

Hi MC. LEE,

IRONCAD can handle this part just fine, but it requires a better understanding of mold cavity and core design techniques using the various surfacing tools. That is, after extracting the main surfaces (as per the demonstration videos), other surfacing tools need to be used for closing gaps for blanking surfaces. This part also requires moving side cores in the mold cavity for the holes, and the core needs a sliding element as well for the notch in the rib. This is a more complicated part, if you're a novice to mold design. There would be a lot to demonstrate in how to do this (and the reasons why), and I simply don't have time.

Malcolm

9 hours ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi MC. LEE,

IRONCAD can handle this part just fine, but it requires a better understanding of mold cavity and core design techniques using the various surfacing tools. That is, after extracting the main surfaces (as per the demonstration videos), other surfacing tools need to be used for closing gaps for blanking surfaces. This part also requires moving side cores in the mold cavity for the holes, and the core needs a sliding element as well for the notch in the rib. This is a more complicated part, if you're a novice to mold design. There would be a lot to demonstrate in how to do this (and the reasons why), and I simply don't have time.

Malcolm

Hi , Malcolm 

Thank you for your help , yes , this is make sense and I am a newer to do mold design , I need more time to do self practice .

MC. Lee