Constrain cuts

hEINSTEIN

Hi Can someone share a good workflow to constrain cuts to beam ends. Ex. Notches.

I want to make notches which will move when the bean length gets changed.

Beam with initial notches.

image.thumb.png.969cfe590d4d1031bed2be67fda76d9e.png

Now when I change the length the notch stays at its original position.

image.thumb.png.3649939d9b77349b45dffe542d4e4a22.png

I have used extrude wizard and constrained my cut on the left hand, which seems to work as intended. But I can't say the same for the right hand side. I have also noticed that my part in my browser has changed to blue, What does this mean?

image.png.d298dd7d0320436bb412a602f8788d4b.png

Thank you

1) Using the Anchor Point as the sole master of position (Standard IRONCAD behavior)

The (cut) feature will just "automatically" follow the length of the part when it is made shorter/longer.

bild.png.148ee96a055b2dd3fd461e8c3ae7f453.png

You need to make sure that the Anchor Point of the (cut) feature is placed at the front face of the part and set to Attach to Surface.

bild.png.8a6cfb1097c899abd9cd57b754d54374.png

Note: This is always being done when you drop objects from the catalog to a (green highlight) face. In general, you seldom think about this at all, but it is an important “fundamental rule” of the system!

In case you need to move the Anchor Point, select it (yellow color) and use the TriBall to place it on the face. Then right click and set it to Attach to Surface.

bild.png.2ea540ac292cedbbf7a9aa2366bddedc.png

When the feature that controls the front face is changed, this will force the Anchor Point of the other shape(s) “attached to it” to follow.

2) Selection is the master of size and position (Standard IRONCAD behavior)

As I see it - I am the (sole) master of size and position, not the system. When you are about to change the length of the profile by using a handle, also select the other shape and make sure it is using the Shape handles (not the Sizebox handles).

This is easily done by a single tap on the [TAB] button or by the Edit Handle Toggle icon (white):

bild.png.10f35ad4de3aea2edbe22ba8b8123a64.png   <->   bild.png.be2d6e18352b5fc995a864d1d55695d8.png

You can also right click on the toggle icon and choose.

bild.png.250f47512e50a3ee9cd035bb4ee0adbc.png

• Selected shapes having the Sizebox handles “active” will change the dimension of the shape (being stretched in the same direction).
  • Selected shapes having the Shape handles "active" will change the position of the shape (move in the same direction).

Now, hold down the [Alt] and [Shift] keys and select the shapes (features only) to change and drag a Sizebox handle to edit the length of the steel profile. Since the cut shape is also selected (with Shape handles active) it will also follow.

bild.png.78fa74a176ee372f2a312cfa65251c61.png

This example became quite long, but this is a lot easier to do than you think.

Note: By combining different kind of shortcut keys, you can make an ("unholy") mix of assemblies, parts and features in one go! =) Just turn on the TriBall and move wherever needed. No constraints will hold you back!

Note 2: The "shortcut keys" mentioned above;
Hold down [Alt] [Shift] for Features (IntelliShapes) only.
Hold down [Ctrl] [Shift] for Parts only
Start with the topmost level (assemblies) with [Shift] only or [Ctrl] select assemblies in the Scene Browser tree structure, then add Parts and IntelliShapes as you like, by mixing these shortcut keys accordingly.

3) Using the Stretch Part/Assembly tool

Quite similar to AutoCAD and kind of like how point 2 works "in the background" - set at stretch plane and the dimension, done! All that is cut by the plane is stretched while all in front of the plane will move accordingly.

bild.png.e7f782f27a52d53fac8d2f73e2f6376c.png

Select an edge of the part.

bild.png.ffa598a2349b3e574940627be950854d.png

The stretch direction (blue arrow in the stretch plane center) might have to be reversed.

bild.png.9ac30b5c2800570230ce85911414e1f3.png

Fill in the Stretch Distance and then hit apply.

4) Using a Smart Dimension as a constraint (my personal last option for general work in IRONCAD)

First, select the (cut) feature and then select a face created by the feature as the first end of the dimension. Then click on the front face of the part as the second (or wherever you want it).

This dimension can now also be used as a way to control the position of the affected shape. But it is not a constraint (yet). The TriBall positioning tool and the Anchor Point “rules” still apply.

bild.png.6a996fc50ca680113cf546ddf67b2264.png

Right click to Lock the dimension as is - it is now also acting as a constraint.

bild.png.4888881c7ac3511689ab994e4638a831.png

The TriBall and the Anchor Point will no longer work to move the shape, until the locked dimension is unlocked or removed.

When the feature that controls the front face is changed, this will force the constrained shape(s) to follow.

bild.png.977f01fb964fa3cbe28cf28ddae18081.png

Note: Constraints can be very useful (and a must) in specific "fully defined", always-by-the-book situations, but as the names says they also "constraint" what you can do and how you should think! When you actually want to be free to do whatever change you need - it might not be possible! In IRONCAD, constraints are really not needed in many situations where you, in "old school parametric 3D CAD", always would use them for the same kind of control. With other tools and an open mind you will find nice solutions on your designs!

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna
  • Like 1