BOM (bill of material in Caxa Draft)

Ramogale

The answer to your questions is "Yes you can". That is, you can create your own "BOM Styles", that display the information that you want, the way you want it.

I've just updated our own internal "BOM Styles" reference document, and I am intending to post this for other users; but before posting that detailed document I'll create and post a simple "BOM Overview" to provide a little context. This may be in the next day or two. In the meantime, other users might post something.

Malcolm

16 hours ago, Ramogale said:

How do you create bill of material in Caxa Draft ?

And on your bill of material you are able to Manipulate your titles, Raw sizes, Column sizes please help

2021-04-06_14-56-28.png.909b9b8c29723c3ee98a8b83a65e22fa.png

Hi Ramogale,

I started using CAXA abut 9 months ago and Malcolm is not only full of good advice, he encourages you every step of the way ( and indeed continues to do so with my slow learning process :). )

It's worth the sacrifice of time and a little frustration to learn CAXA, let me tell you. There are many things to be liked about ICD which in itself is a good programme. However now that I am getting into depth with CAXA, I much prefer it to ICD. 

I had exactly the same question as you regarding CAXA BOMS and they are a little tricky ( I found ) at the start, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be away laughing. Also, I wanted to manipulate titles etc like you do and have had good results.

All the best and always ask here on the forum when you get completely stuck.

Cheers

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

3 hours ago, Ramogale said:

Thanks for the encouragement I really need that cause sometimes I feel like I am asking stupid Questions, And I have been using the program for 2 month

Thank you very much

There's no such thing as a stupid question on this forum, and if t here was, it would take you a hell of a lot of effort to grab first prize off the rest of us :rolleyes:

Keep on asking!

Harley

Two months isn't very long when it comes to learning new CAD software. It takes significant time to learn to navigate your way around and to learn the various tools and terminology. Unfortunately, when CAD software is promoted as "Easy to Use" it can create (unintentionally) unrealistic expectations in new users (and Business Owners). CAD Software is easier to use now than when I started working in 3D around 30 years, but there is also a lot more to learn (with greater capabilities, tools and settings). So more time is actually required now.

When I have new staff begin in IRONCAD, I tell them at the very start that I don't expect them to be proficient within the first 3 months. And they have the benefit of having an experienced user in the office guiding them. I do this to help lift the burden of unrealistic expectations, as I want them to focus on investing in the "learning".

Malcolm

• 11 months later...

RE BOM's in CAXA, 

Does anyone know if the parts have to be 'linked' to have them merge on the BOM?

I have a parts which were copied, but are coming up as separate parts on the BOM, even though they are identical.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan,

No the parts don't need to be copies or links. They can in fact have totally different geometry. When it comes to merging in BOMs, the only information that matters are the values in the Part Properties that the BOM is looking at. If you have two different parts that share the same Part Properties then the BOM will treat these parts as the same.

Within the "Merge Options" of CAXA, you can define the Part Properties that CAXA uses for merging. For example, if you choose Part Number then it will merge all parts that share the same Part Number (regardless of whether the geometry is the same or not). If you were to choose Material, then CAXA will merge all parts that share the same Material.

Attached is a previous video created regarding "Remerging". Hopefully this will give you some insight into using the merge option with CAXA's BOM.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe