Request: Thread Tool - Suggested Enhancements

Malcolm Crowe

Following on from my previous post about how to change the "Start Angle" of the Thread, the attached video demonstrates the following 3 suggestions for enhancing this tool. For me personally, I rarely use this tool; so other enhancements are a far greater priority for me. But if enhancements are to be made to this tool, then these are my suggestions:

1. The ability to use Parameters within the Thread Feature Properties. I can achieve everything that I want using Parameters, but I currently need to copy and paste values into the Thread Feature Properties.

2. The ability to adjust the Start Angle of the Thread (in a similar way that users can adjust the Start Distance).

3. The ability to choose whether the Thread "Ending Lengths" are "Added To" or "Included Within" the specified Thread Length. Currently the Lead Ending and Runout Ending are "Included Within" the specified Thread Length. However, sometimes it is necessary to specify the Length of the "Full" Thread, and then have the Lead Ending and Runout Ending "Added" to that, meaning that the "Total" Thread Length is longer. One option could be to have the user select either "Full Thread Length" or "Total Thread Length" when specifying the length.

Other users are free to add their suggestions here also.

Malcolm

Thread Tool - Suggested Enhancements.PNG

ASTM D2911-94 Standard Specification for Dimensions and Tolerances for Plastic Bottles.pdf

• Thanks 1

I have two more suggestions to add to the previous three.

4. Improve the blending and rendering around the "Endings".

5. Add consistency to the "Direction" of the Thread and the "Shape" of the Endings when the "Segment" option is selected.

See the attached video.

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

I agree parameters in the thread tool would be a great improvement and I know this limitation got in the way of a customer's project recently.

I'll add a 6th one: We should really have pre-made threads, instead of requiring drawing a cross section every single time.

It should be possible to choose from a list of pre-sized threads, and then only customize if actually needed. This would also allow the user to save their own threads to the list.

At the moment, it's like someone wants to buy new tires for their car, and instead of showing them 50 tires to choose from, we just provide some rubber pellets and say make your own tires from scratch.

We should have a list of threads that work automatically, and then the ability to customize their values where required.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, Josh said:

I agree parameters in the thread tool would be a great improvement and I know this limitation got in the way of a customer's project recently.

I'll add a 6th one: We should really have pre-made threads, instead of requiring drawing a cross section every single time.

It should be possible to choose from a list of pre-sized threads, and then only customize if actually needed. This would also allow the user to save their own threads to the list.

At the moment, it's like someone wants to buy new tires for their car, and instead of showing them 50 tires to choose from, we just provide some rubber pellets and say make your own tires from scratch.

We should have a list of threads that work automatically, and then the ability to customize their values where required.

We too have wanted this feature for a while. You can of course go to McMaster Carr and download anything you want, but these BREP threads just destroy you in file size. I think i deleted a series of MC fasteners the other day (maybe about 40 to 70 of them) and my file size went from 160MB to 30MB. So I guess my point is that as long as they don't bog IC down, it would be awesome to have this option.

- Spencer

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to bump this enhancement request again...

Last time it was addressed was a year ago and it would be very helpful to have a pre defined thread tool

-Peter